vADC Forum

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

"TrafficScript exceeded the number of pre-allocated array elements" warning

We keep getting a warning on our stingrays about array elements.

TrafficScript exceeded the number of pre-allocated array elements. Consider increasing trafficscript!array_elements on the System > Global Settings page

Is there a way for us to identify what trafficscript is causing this and whether we have a problem or not, or should we just do as it suggests and increase the size of trafficscript!array_elements. What are the implications of doing this?

Cheers,

Andrew

Brocadian

Re: "TrafficScript exceeded the number of pre-allocated array elements" warning

The default value of trafficscript!array_elements can be considered a safe guard and adjusted accordingly. In addition to custom scripts, the error can also be attributed to “internal” functions of Traffic Manager that use Traffic Script array elements. 

As always, I recommend a check the health of the system resources
(i.e. memory and error logs) after changes to identify any potential problems. Disclaimer out of the way, I have increased the value a number of times with little implications. (one time the lager array required me to increase the "trafficscript!memory_warning:" )

Occasional Contributor

I suppose one problem I have is that I have very little in the way of diagnostics for identifying where any problem may lie. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to identify what is using the array elements or how it is changing over time, so I can't identify whether some errant trafficscript that I've written is at fault or if it is just normal (increasing) usage of the traffic managers. Is there a way to get more information out?

Occasional Contributor

One other thing I forgot to mention. What is the impact of this warning? Does it stop things from working?

Brocadian

It's pretty harmless - it was changed from WARN to INFO in version 9.1.  There's basically no impact of increasing trafficscript!array_elements far enough to stop the error happening - when the message happens that's what STM does internally.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook