vADC Forum

New Contributor

VTM traffic IP not moving to passive node

Hello everybody,

I am completely new to the VTM, I am testing it out to replace my netscaler VPX. I am running 2 VTM's in my AWS VPC, they are clustered and when both nodes are online they show healthy status.

I created a traffic group with a sincle elastic IP address and set one traffic manager to be active and the other to be passive.

when both traffic managers are online, everything is fine and i am able to reach the elastic IP and see the http content behind it, but when i create a failure situation and stop the instance that is holding the elastic ip, the passive traffic manager is unable to take the traffic ip address.

from the documentation i have read, this is something that should just happen and doesnt require any additional or special parameters. I am also using IAM roles instead of ec2 access/secret keys, but i dont think thats the issue because the vtm is able to see the EIPs and initiate autoscaling.

here is the error i am seeing in the traffic ip groups tab:

Error: There is a problem. Please see below for details

Error communicating with local traffic manager: There was a problem communicating with machine <Downed traffic manager>:9080: Timed out when sending request (state connection).

ERROR: Traffic IP address <EIP Address> is not hosted on any traffic managers

any help would be greately appreciated!

Visitor

Re: VTM traffic IP not moving to passive node

Welcome to the VTM world - I'm sure you will be quite happy with this product!

Your problem is, that you have explicit configured, that one of your clusternodes are passive - make them both active and then the VTM will automatic find the best suitable node to host your elastic IP and it will fail over in case of errors.

New Contributor

Re: VTM traffic IP not moving to passive node

Thanks, turned out it wasn't that, it was because I did not allocate a secondary private ip address for the ENI the EIP was being attached to on the second traffic manager.

Once I allocated a secondary private ip address for the ENI i wanted the EIP to be associated with, the failover happened and took approximately 15 seconds when I stopped the instance through the ec2 console, and took about 2 seconds to failback when I brought the preferred traffic manager back online.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook