vADC Forum

New Contributor

Problems load balancing a WPAD.dat file using Brocade VTM v11.

Hi All,

I am having a few issues load balancing a WPAD.dat file script across 2 nodes...

Users browsers are configured to point to a SteelApp TIP (Brocade VTM version 11), which load balances across 2 IIS Servers in 2 locations, the TIP looks to be working okay with no errors showing.  Largely this is working fine for the majority of users but for no apparent reason some browsers show the page cannot be displayed message when accessing webpages.

However manually changing the browser setting locally on the users machine to point to either IIS node the URL seems to work, but when changing back to the Load balancer i get the "page cannot be displayed" again.

Can anyone help me please? 

Brocadian

Re: Problems load balancing a WPAD.dat file using Brocade VTM v11.

Hi Rob,

For clarity; are you load balancing the PAC discovery (ie the download of the WPAD.dat) or the proxy servers themselves (ie you're using IIS as a forward proxy)?

If the clients which fail are consistent, then you could add a TrafficScript rule to log or capture analytics from those hosts. Eg

$ip = request.getRemoteIP();
if ( $ip == "10.0.0.1" ) {
   recentconns.include();
}
​

You can then watch these requests and responses in the Activity -> Connections tab

You could also enable additional connection error logging on the virtual server to get more information output in the error log.

Cheers,

Mark

New Contributor

Re: Problems load balancing a WPAD.dat file using Brocade VTM v11.

Hi Mark - thanks for your reply!

To clarify this is just to for the client to download the WPAD.dat file.

There doesn't appear to be any patterns as such, I will try to use the TrafficScript rule you mention, and also enable additional error logging - will advise how i get on ASAP.

Rob

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.