Wingspan

The Week in Review – Hat Tricks, Earnings and Frank Zamboni…of course

by Ian.Whiting on ‎02-23-2011 08:30 AM - last edited on ‎10-28-2013 07:11 PM by bcm6 (478 Views)

Last week was a good week. Not only did Brocade announce better than expected earnings for Q1 but our local San Jose Sharks registered back-to-back home wins in their last two NHL games against the Washington Capitals and the Colorado Avalanche - and I was there to see it! The 4-0 victory against the Av’s was all the more pleasing because my 9-year-old daughter and I both got to ride on the Zamboni during the second intermission. The night was complete when Devin Setoguchi notched up his first career hat trick and the Shark Tank went wild (I still can’t justify in my mind why grown men throw perfectly good  $30 baseball caps on the ice whenever someone scores a hat trick). So a  good week all around.

miniIan.jpg

What was particularly pleasing about our earnings call was that we got to talk about the fact that not only did we grow our Ethernet business by a very healthy 32% year over year, but we also had a record sell-through or end-user demand for our SAN business, thus defying those industry pundits who have been predicting “the end is nigh for SAN.” Even our archrivals in this space, Cisco, announced strong year over year growth in SAN pointing to a definite market expansion, and perhaps burst the bubble of the over-hyped promise of FCoE as a credible alternative to Fibre Channel in the data center. We don’t normally cheer when our competitors do well in a market where we are so dominant (Approximately 70% market share consistently for 3+ years) but on this occasion we did raise a metaphorical glass to toast the fact that Cisco had to concede that Fibre Channel is still king when it comes to hard-core data center storage networking.   

In the meantime, it’s back to business. We need to keep the momentum going and the Sharks, who beat the Red Wings on the road need to keep their winning streak alive against the Penguins and Flames. Go Sharks!