Wingspan

Our IPv6 Day was Years Ago

by Phil.O.Reilly on ‎06-07-2011 09:00 AM (343 Views)

From Wingspan Guest Blogger, Phil O'Reilly, Vice President, Integrated Marketing for Brocade

Here we are to celebrate IPv6 day. Isn’t it remarkable that we’ve evolved so much from an IT perspective that a protocol has its own day?

What I really want to discuss is what we are missing when we think about IPv6. I think what happens is people are fixated on the fact that IPv4 addresses are running out, in fact they are already exhausted, and IPv6 is the solution for that problem. If you focus on the exhaustion issue, sure it’s true; but you’re missing some fundamental aspects about the marketplace and the Internet itself.

The Internet is evolving and the demands on the Internet are increasing dramatically from new devices, demand for content, and the ways we use online services. As a result, the network that provides these capabilities needs to change. IPv6 is actually indicative of that continuous evolution of the underlying network that support s our consumption of rich content on the Internet.

So what is IPv6? Well, sure, it solves the IPv4 address problem but it also enhances and simplifies routing, it improves security on the Internet, it improves multicast capabilities. There are a lot of other benefits to IPv6, and in that context we have to think more broadly about what this means.

As a Brocadian, I look at this from a different perspective. I look at IPv6 and think “why does everybody think this is so revolutionary?” Like so many other changes in the evolution of the Internet, we anticipated this. Our products line is IPv6 ready; we build IPv6 functionality into the key elements of the network – where they are needed today.  We’ve given our customers the ability to understand an evolution and a migration path, so IPv6 Day is a non-event from a Brocade perspective. It sort of seems remarkable to me that the public is treating it as something completely new. Maybe it’s just the way we do business. We understand what we do so well that we anticipate changes, and we build technologies that integrate these kinds of advancements in the Internet so quickly that it comes as a routine thing for us.