Wingspan

Brocade's New Campus Data Center is SANtastic!

by Tim.Graumann on ‎03-23-2010 07:50 AM - last edited on ‎10-28-2013 06:37 PM by bcm6 (428 Views)

In my February blog I described how Brocade IP products will form the scalable network backbone at the new Brocade San Jose campus. Similarly, Brocade IT is using the build-out to upgrade our Storage Area Network (SAN), using the latest Brocade products and services to meet the demands of ballooning data growth and server virtualization.

The new campus will include dual SAN cores featuring Brocade DCX Backbones along with Brocade 5100 edge devices and embedded SAN switch devices in every blade-server chassis. Increasing Inter-Switch Link (ISL) throughput to 8 Gbps Fibre Channel will reduce our cabling and patch requirements and lower the number of potential failure points. We will manage and monitor all SAN equipment through the Brocade Data Center Fabric Manager (DCFM) Enterprise product.

Brocade-DCX-v1.jpgBrocade-5100-v2.jpg

Brocade DCX Backbone                           Brocade 5100 Switch

We are considering SAN virtualization for both campus migration activities and a more general deployment within the San Jose campus and the Broomfield, Colorado data centers. We plan to migrate the existing SAN storage from our three current San Jose data centers and integrate it into the campus infrastructure to form several aggregated storage pools. Non-blade server builds for the campus will be using Brocade 815 Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) to provide redundant 8 Gbps links into the dual-fabric SAN. In addition, the Brocade Global Services organization is working with the campus IT team to evaluate the full range of migration options and identify activities where they can augment IT resources.

Brocade-815-HBA-v1.jpg

Brocade 815 HBA

Our solutions and architecture teams are also reviewing SAN virtualization products from Brocade OEM partners. In Q4FY09, we deployed SAN storage supporting Hyper-V virtualization in Broomfield, and 35 percent of the company’s Broomfield Windows SAN capacity migrated onto this new storage. We added capacity in Q1FY10, to enable migrations of Exchange and SQL*Server data.

In Q4FY09, we also added UNIX and Windows virtualization capacity to support the SOA and upcoming Knowledge Base projects. And earlier this year we added virtual server capacity to support the Business Intelligence applications and the future Online Self-Service application, which gives Brocade customers greater ability to create cases and view service requests. That’s important because demand for self-service technology solutions has never been greater, and by empowering our customers to manage their own technology requests, we’re better able to serve them and keep costs under control. Whenever possible, we’re leveraging Brocade technology to facilitate those opportunities.

Thanks for your continued interest in Brocade IT’s role and contributions at the new Brocade Bay Area campus. If you missed one of my earlier posts, they’re all archived on the Wingspan blog homepage. I hope you’ll check back next month, when I’ll focus on the engineering applications at the new campus.