Virtual Router/ Firewall/ VPN

Occasional Visitor

dataplane at NFV

Hi All,

Does dataplane at NFV mean the port ?

I see at datasheet the Vytatta vRouter  need 2 CPU per dataplane for troughput up to 1Gbps for interface 1/10G, does it mean if I have 5 port I must use 10 CPU?

Broadcom

Re: dataplane at NFV

The 5600 vRouter is licensed on a per vCPU basis. The Control Plane vCPU plus the Dataplance VCPUs. If you have a 5 vCPU license, you can use 6 vCPUs for your vRouter, 1 for control and 5 for data. 

The license only restricts how many vCPU's the box may be using, not how many ethernet ports you can have. Also the peformance sclaing is very conservative.  

New Contributor

How does licensing work when installing bare metal? Do I have to buy a vCPU license for every physical core available, or will it automatically scale the number of cores used based on the number of licenses installed?

External Moderator

@erazmus

for more details about vCPU License, refer vRouter Datasheet

Table 2.

Software licenses available for the Brocade 5600 vRouter.

https://www.brocade.com/content/dam/common/documents/content-types/datasheet/brocade-5600-vrouter-ds.pdf

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

@erazmus

for more details about vCPU License, refer vRouter Datasheet

Table 2.

Software licenses available for the Brocade 5600 vRouter.

https://www.brocade.com/content/dam/common/documents/content-types/datasheet/brocade-5600-vrouter-ds.pdf

Thanks for the quick response. A couple of issues - the link you posted gives me a 404. However, I can find the data sheet if I navigate the site. Table 2 just lists SKUs for vCPU licenses. What I want to know is how does the licensing behave in a bare-metal (no hypervizor) situation?  For example, imagine I have a machine with 8 cores (two 4-core CPUs). If I install vRouter 5600 on the hardware bare-metal, and I install a 2-vCPU license, what happens? Do I get 1 control plane and 2 data planes, and the other 5 cores are unused, or do I get an error where the system tells me I have too many cores and not enough licenses?

External Moderator

@erazmus

the DS URL is work, i tested again.

about you question:

>....or do I get an error where the system tells me I have too many cores and not enough licenses?

no, for a simple reason it's not mandatory to license all virtual CPU or core and for this reason is such "pay-as-you-go" license plan available.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook