Virtual Router/ Firewall/ VPN

Occasional Contributor

Vyatta 5600 on VMWare - No Interfaces

I've recently successfully trialled a Vyatta 5400 on both VirtualBox and ESXi without any dramas.  I've been provided a demo 5600 ISO and installed it on both systems, and I'm getting the same issue on each - when it's installed and I start up the fresh build, I have no Ethernet interfaces, only a loopback interface.  If I "show interfaces" it only shows a loopback, if I go into config and edit interfaces, there is only a loopback there and if I issue "edit ethernet" it says "Configuration path: [ethernet] is not valid"

However, if I run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" I can see eth0 and eth1 with the correct MAC addresses as per the VM settings in ESXi.  Also, "dmesg | grep eth" shows the following:-

[    1.336201] e1000 0000:02:00.0 eth0: (PCI:66MHz:32-bit) 00:50:56:ab:33:59

[    1.336206] e1000 0000:02:00.0 eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

[    1.705995] e1000 0000:02:01.0 eth1: (PCI:66MHz:32-bit) 00:50:56:ab:44:ba

[    1.705998] e1000 0000:02:01.0 eth1: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

So, the underlying OS appears to see the interfaces without any issues, but they aren't working in the Vyatta system.  I initially thought it may have had something to do with running in VirtualBox as it's not supported, but was surprised when I had the same issue in VMWare.

Regards,
Mark Johnson

Broadcom

Re: Vyatta 5600 on VMWare - No Interfaces

[ Edited ]

Hello Mark, You're probably long passed this issue, but I thought I'd post this in case others come searching for same issue and see this. The 5600 is architecturally different as compared tot he 5400. Make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM or your interfaces won't show up. Then you can use this to see your interfaces,

~$: show interfaces dataplance I

<t'll look something like this: dp0p3p1 >

Then once you have your interface number, you can set IP similar to blow (at the time of this posting, dp0 will be the same in all 5600's):

vyatta@vyatta:~$ configure

vyatta@vyatta# set interfaces dataplane dp0p3p1 address 172.16.16.10/24

vyatta@vyatta# commit

vyatta@vyatta# exit

vyatta@vyatta:~$

IHTH

Regards,

Kaveh Tahani

New Contributor

I have a similar issue, But the problem is when i enter configure mode and type show interfaces dataplane, the result is showing null. I mean nothing shows up like how you said dp0p3p1 will show up. How do you suggest I proceed from here?

Broadcom

Make sure youe have 2GB RAM, set the cpy type to "Sandybridge" and interface nic type to be virtio

You will see the interfaces only when dataplane process starts properly during boot

New Contributor

I had the same issue and was able to fix with the below, as it seems to be a problem with the NIC driver:-

Find where you have saved the VM to (make sure the VM is shutdown)

Open the VM, with the file type "VMWare virtual machine configuration" in notepad

Add the below lines at the bottom of the file:-

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet1.virtualDev = "e1000"

Save the file 

Start the VM and you should then be able to see the interfaces in 'show interfaces dataplance' and will be able to assign IP.

Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I am facing the same issue. Can anyone please help me to sort out the issue?

When I type "sh interface" its displaying only loopback interface... I used 4GB RAM and current adapater as E1000.

Your prompt response is highly appreciated.

Occasional Visitor

I can see the interfaces as dataplane interfaces, by any chance i can have them named as ethernet eth0, eth1, ....

vyatta@vyatta:~$ show interfaces dataplane
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface        IP Address                        S/L  Description
---------        ----------                        ---  -----------
dp0p2p1                                            u/u  
dp0p3p1                                            u/u  

Occasional Visitor

[ Edited ]

@steve.adcock

Thanks for the tip, i'm doing a lab using vmware workstation i've designated two interfaces for testing purposes and for some reason my second interface wasn't showing up when issued the "show interfaces" command, and indeed was missing a line inside the .vmx file, that was exactly the line you pointed out. thank you

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook