Sofware-Defined Networking

New Contributor

vyatta.org forum knowledge

hi.

On the old www.vyatta.org forum postings there was a wealth of knowledge around 6.6R1 which was extremely useful.

Now that the vyatta.org site redirects directly to Brocade, this information doesn't seem to be available any more.

Is it not perhaps best to leave the vyatta.org site where it was and just keep the Brocade site separate and perhaps just add increased Brocade branding to the old Vyatta.org site? The only other site with substantial amounts of setup/configuration details are the UBNT forums (due to EdgeOS being a fork of Vyatta 6.3).

Are there any plans to provide a free version of the x86/x64 routing software for the old Vyatta.org users or will we have to take the vyos.net fork instead?

For any UBNT guys out there, are there plans to offer a free version of EdgeOS without the GUI?

Thanks

New Contributor

Re: vyatta.org forum knowledge

It's ok that Brocade has decided to no longer support the free version of Vyatta, but for them to destroy years of build up community knowledge makes Brocade guilty of book burning.  Brocade if you want to be less of an evil corporation then give the vyatta.org forum database to the VyOS project (Including the hacker forum).

Super Contributor

Hi Ashley and thank you for your questions.  So I'm trying to get an "official" answer regarding the old content from vyatta.org, but from what I've heard, it was not ported over because it was extremely 'dated'.  But... once I get feedback on this, I'll relay this info.  

Regarding your question about the free version, at this time, I dont think so.  But I've included that in my items to get answered just to cover all basis.  

More to follow...

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

>because it was extremely 'dated'.

Just like the last VC release itself. ;)

Dated or not, the forum held enormous amount of useful information. Many things didn't change that much and most of that information was still fully or partially applicable to the current releases.

Super Contributor

The original Vyatta team is responsible for this business segment and subsequently any decisions that include their historical data.  We've reached out to them and are awaiting their input.  As previously stated, I will relay their decision.   

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
New Contributor

Wow Mike, your response makes Brocade sounds like a big disfunctional bureaurcracy.  I first got turned on to Vyatta in late 2000 and was so impressed by how strong the community was.  I use to get my questions answer by the developers of the product like Justin, Mike, Stig, Dave, Robert, John, Skath, Robin, Mojit,  Mark, etc.  Now it sounds like even though the old vyatta forum is gone that no one from Vyatta even reads the new forum since you've had to reach out to them and waiting for an answer.  Do old Vyatta employees no longer care?  Are they just kicked back waiting for their options to vest or have all the great ones already quit?  It's very obvious that the passion that Vyatta had is LONG gone.

Shame on Brocade for destroying this company/product.  I guess it should come as no surprise after seeing what Brocade did to the Foundry aquisition.

Occasional Contributor

@janders99, are you the one who used to go by janders on Freenode? Come visit the vyatta forkers on #vyos :)

New Contributor

As the last remaining marketing rep from the Vyatta days - and the one that was responsible for the Vyatta website and community - I wanted to provide some insight into why we made the decision to take down Vyatta.org (aka .ORG).

First, we - Brocade as a whole - owe you an apology for no advance warning about the end of .ORG. For this I do apologize on behalf of Brocade and the Vyatta team.

As for what led up to the decision, it's simple, .ORG as a whole was breaking down, a lot. In recent months, I'm sure you noticed that .ORG seemed to be down and inaccessible frequently. The combination of aging hardware and time-consuming patches/upgrades played a major role in this decision. When combined with a rapidly declining community presence, we made this decision to ensure our engineers could focus on building the industry's best virtual networking product.

That said, you make a valid point on the vast amount of knowledge lost. We are exploring ways to make it accessible again, but the end result will not include the reemergence of .ORG. Is there specific information that you would like made available again?

Best,

Matt Wolpin

Corporate Communications Manager at Brocade

Matt Wolpin
Corporate Communications Manager
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Matt,

>combined with a rapidly declining community presence

Yep, a forum that is filling with spam no one cleans up and goes down frequently doesn't facilitate community presence. ;)

>The combination of aging hardware and time-consuming patches/upgrades

Moving a drupal installation to a new VM takes an hour or two, including drinking coffee and discussing how much PHP sucks.

>Is there specific information that you would like made available again?

Database dump without the users table and tar.gz of the website dir would be perfect.

New Contributor

Thanks for the insight dmbaturin.

You can find the .tar files here: http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/oscd/vse-source-code.page

Does that help?

Matt Wolpin
Corporate Communications Manager

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook