Software-Defined

Innovation - BYOD trends – Ceilometer; Brocade at the OpenStack Summit

by Sandeep.Singh.Kohli on ‎04-12-2013 10:10 AM (1,259 Views)

I am drawing parallels with conversations I had few years ago on BYOD and last week on private cloud using OpenStack. Not on the technologies itself but how new shifts bring in new problems to be resolved and the innovation surrounding that.

Exhibit A:

In the late-2000s, I had the following BYOD conversation with a friend who worked in IT:

Me: Users bringing their personal devices to work should be an interesting trend.

Friend: We will NEVER allow users to bring in their own devices.

Me: But the mobile devices are..

Friend: What about SECURITY?!

As we all know, these were issues that were resolved (in most cases) and BYOD is here to stay.

And interestingly, just last week, I had the following conversation with another friend…

Exhibit B:

Me: A self-service portal for IT users – private cloud - should be an interesting trend in large enterprises.

Friend: But I don’t think IT admins would want to lose control.

Me: They can setup templates and they still have control. In fact they lose all control when some of these users go rogue.  

Friend: But what about usage monitoring? What about internal BILLING?!

Agreed that there are still some issues that need to be fully resolve here but innovation is bound to happen where trends would force innovations to occur. In fact, there is an OpenStack project on billing called Ceilometer that I am eager to learn updates on at the OpenStack Summit next week.

OpenStack Summit is a great place for the community to showcase and learn various innovations happening in our industry. Talking of which, I am also very excited about Brocade’s participation at the OpenStack summit. We have the following speaking sessions: 

Yours truly will be on the panel - Networking, the Final Frontier of the Software-Defined Datacenter (Monday 4:45 to 5:30)

Orchestration of Fibre Channel Technologies for Private Cloud Deployments (Monday, April 15, 2013; 9:50 a.m)

Panel Discussion: Enterprise Vendors in the OpenStack Ecosystem (Monday, April 15, 2013; 1:50 pm)

We also have a booth C20 where we are showcasing OpenStack demos with our VCS and ADX products and we can discuss the innovations in IP networking and FC SAN.

So, come see us at the OpenStack Summit and see how Brocade solves our customers’ problems. And yes, let us also jointly witness at the summit all the other cool innovation our community is bringing to the table.

Labels