SAN Health Utility

Occasional Contributor

SAN Health w/Logical Switches require IPFC address that require HBAs in the SAN Health Server?

In reading posts about getting SAN Health to pull data from Logical Switches, it indicates that a userid and IP address must be set up for each Logical Switch.

SAN-Health-Utility/Using-SAN-Health-How-SAN-Health-Works-With-Virtual-Fabrics-and/ta-p/3563

Further reading, the FOS 7.1_AG, shows that the IP address is an IPFC address, and that requires fibre channel connection from the SAN Health Server to each logical switch.  Is that correct?  I hope not! Maybe I missed something.

Management Modules for Logical Switches........

You can use one common IP address for the hardware that is shared by all of the logical switches in the chassis and you can set up individual IPv4 addresses for each Virtual Fabric. For a management host to manage a logical switch using the Internet Protocol over Fibre Channel (IPFC) IP address, it must be physically connected to the Virtual Fabric using a host bus adapter (HBA).

In my environment, that would require 4 ports in my logical switches, as well as 4 fibre ports in the SAN Health Server.  That makes gathering SAN Health data extremely difficult as well as expensive.

Regular Contributor

Re: SAN Health w/Logical Switches require IPFC address that require HBAs in the SAN Health Server?

As far as I'm aware of SAN health does not require IPFC.

IPFC is not widly spread anyways, you can consider it abandoned technology.

SAN healt only requires you to threat every FID (with it's own LSses) as traditional physical fabrics).

You therefor add each LS with it's own management ip in the right Fabric within SAN health.

Valued Contributor

Re: SAN Health w/Logical Switches require IPFC address that require HBAs in the SAN Health Server?

Dion's completely right, the presence of IPFC is merely testimonial.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook