SAN Health Utility

Occasional Contributor

SAN Health + EMC Connectrix Manager + 6140 switches

Hi All,

I'm trying to run SAN Health against a very old environment that I have.  We're running EMC Connectrix Manager version 9.7.4 with a whole whack of 6140 switches being managed.  The 6140's are on their own private, internal network and only accessible from the Connectrix Manager service processor.

The switches are all configured with SSH and it appears as though this is not supported by SAN Health.  I get the following when trying to connect via the proxy:

INFO-10:55:17 AM> Connecting to switch number 6 (192.168.1.12) via the EFCM Proxy

RECEIVE-10:55:17 AM> 6

RECEIVE-10:55:18 AM> ERROR: Unable to connect to device.

RECEIVE-10:55:18 AM> Press any key to continue ...

WARNING-10:55:19 AM> The EFCM proxy failed to connect to the switch at 192.168.1.12

WARNING-10:55:19 AM> The Telnet session may be engaged or the switch may not have Telnet enabled

Is it possible to get a Connectrix Manager/EFCM proxy connection if SSH is enabled on the 6140 switches?

If I were to disable SSH on the 6140's, would there be any disruption to traffic?

Thanks in advance,

--db

Frequent Contributor

Re: SAN Health + EMC Connectrix Manager + 6140 switches

ssh works on port 22,   the error talks about telnet which uses port 23. Are you sure SAN health uses ssh instead of telnet?

Occasional Contributor

I'm using the SAN Health to proxy through Connectrix Manager, as the switches are on a network that is only accessible to that machine.

The way it looks to me, SAN Health connects just fine to the Connectrix Manager.  The switches are all visible.  But when SAN Health tries opening a connection to the switch, proxied through CM, it errors out because it can't telnet to the switch.

I even selected the SSH option in SAN health but the problem appears to be the interface between Connectrix Manager and the switches via this proxy mode.

Valued Contributor

How is that interface (between proxy en switches) configured?

In your first post the log contains the line "RECEIVE-10:55:18 AM> Press any key to continue ..."

Which looks like a login prompt/procedure which doesn't complete properly, reason unknown atm.

Occasional Contributor

Basically, I select "Connect to Switches Via an EFCM Server" in the "Add Switches" tab.

I put in the Connectrix Manager IP and credentials.

I also deselect the "All Switches in the Fabric Have The Same Password", since the switches have a different login.

Clicking "Add EFCM Managed Switches", it connects to the CM server and pulls all the fabric information.

The problem is when I select a switch and configure the login credential for that switch.  I hit "Test Connectivity and Get Switch Details" and it gives me that error that I mentioned earlier.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook