For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

SAN Health Utility

Occasional Contributor

In San Health results my Emulex HBAs are describing themselves as Vixel Switches or Hubs.

In a recent set of San Health results recieved from Broadcom/Brocade,  four of my Emulex HBAs are reporting there desciption as Vixel Switch or Hub.  Also San Health Professional reports the same result for these HBA.   The Device type being reported is a DISK.   Any ideas why these HBAs are being labeled in this way? 

Frequent Contributor

Re: In San Health results my Emulex HBAs are describing themselves as Vixel Switches or Hubs.

What does the Name Server show for these HBAs?

I've had some odd inter-naming before. When the HBAs were updated, the naming stabilized. I'd check there first if possible.

Broadcom Moderator

Re: In San Health results my Emulex HBAs are describing themselves as Vixel Switches or Hubs.

There would seem to be some decoding fault in the OUI of the device. 

Go here: https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::WWN

And put in the WWN of the device which is reporting wrong. See what the IEEE folks have to say about the registration status. May be with the SAN Health decoding or may be with the vendor WWN assignment. 

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Occasional Contributor

I cannot get this link to work https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::WWN  It just gives me blank screens.  If it is script, my security settings may be blocking it. 

Emulex bought Vixel a number of years ago,  so they may be using vixels old OUIs. 

One Emulex LPe16002 HBAs has the following OUI that is part of the WWNN that I am having decode problems with:

The OUI is 00-10-9B.   Which is part of this entire WWNN  20:00:00:10:9b:23:28:20.

Can you use the Link you  and tell me what you get back as a reponse?   

Thanks,
- Steve 

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.