Mobility/Wireless

Contributor

Brocade AP licensing scheme (AP/AAP/WIPS...)

Hello!

I'm currently choosing a solution for wireless. Need 64 (maybe more AP in a future) AP like 7131.

As i understand RFS 4000 is not well enough from the point of redundancy (i can use 72 AP in a cluster, but if on of RFS fails i end up with 36 AP on a controller). Is that right or maybe 36 AP still be registered on the controller and the rest 28 will work fine as a standalone?

Do you think RFS6000 will be more appropriate?

Second bullet in a head is a licensing scheme. Are the licenses additive, i mean can i install 2 licenses for 24 APs, one for 64 and so on up to 256... or i can install only one license at a time?

As i understand it is possible to order RFS6000 controller with 0/8/24/48 AP. These are bundled licenses for dependent APs or  for Adaptive AP, or maybe both?

If these are just for dependant AP, i cannot use em with BR-RFS6000-L-D16 upgrade. So i need a blank controller and  4x BR-RFS6000-L-D16 to get 64 7131 APs?

Brocade site sais that there is BR-RFS6000-L-UP8 for AP, this is a licence for dependant AP? Are there any options for 24,64,128?

Regarding the WIPS. Is it enough to install WIPS license on both controllers in a cluster or something else is necessary to get these functions (like AirDefence appliances)?

AP 7131 can be purchased with internal antenna setup, with MIMO antenna module included. Is it possible to use such APs with external antennas later (if needed), one just need to unplug this white 6 element MIMO antenna?

I understand, that this is a ton of questions, but really need to have an understanding, looked through FAQ, PRG, DS, but still not quite confident.

Regard,

Alex.

Broadcom

Re: Brocade AP licensing scheme (AP/AAP/WIPS...)

Hi Alex,

As you need 64 APs and may grow in future, RFS4000 is not the right choice of controller. I recommend RFS6000 or RFS7000.

The base license of RFS6000/7000 are not additive - You cannot add two base 24 AP licenses.  You can add only one of these base licenses per controller (BR-RFS6000-L-AP8, BR-RFS6000-L-AP24, BR-RFS6000-L-AP48). All other upgrade licenses are additive, meaning you can add multiple quantities of these licenses (BR-RFS6000-L-UP8, BR-RFS6000-L-D16, BR-RFS6000-L-D128, BR-RFS6000-L-D256) until you reach the max AP limit for that controller. You can have one base and multiple upgrade licenses, or you can have multiple upgrade licenses without the base licenses. With the latest firmware, the base license is not mandatory to add the upgrade licenses.

With the latest firmware upgrade, there is no difference between a dependent AP license and adaptive AP license. Any license can be used to manage any AP type (dependent/adaptive). For 64 APs with RFS6000, you got the right license combination - 4 x BR-RFS6000-L-D16. This is the most cost-effective license option. You may also consider a RFS7000 with 1 x BR-RFS7000-L-AP64 base license. This combination is approx $2K USD lower in price than the RFS6000 with 4x D16 license combination.

BR-RFS6000-L-UP8 can be used with or without any other licenses. This is again a change that is caused by the latest software release.

Advance WIPS license - This is a On/Off license – not shareable in a cluster. This license is applied on a controller to enable functionality on both the controller and the adopted APs.

I don't think you can convert an integrated antenna 7131 model to external model. May be some other experts can answer this. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Sharan Mahadevan,

Systems Engineer - Inside, Brocade

Contributor

Hi, Sharan!

Thank you for your detailed reply, this is awesome!

Guess, the only question left is about a 7131 antenna. I thought of using external antennas instead of a white 6element MIMO because i saw an image at motorola solutions site in a Spec sheet: http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Products/Wireless%20LAN%20Devices/WLAN%20Access%20Points/AP-7131/_Documents/_staticfiles/AP-7131_Spec-Sheet_0910-web.pdf

It connects to all 6 rp-sma connectors with a short cables. Maybe its possible to disconnect em and use standard external antennas. Hope someone will help with this.

Broadcom

Glad I was able to answer your questions. Are you aware that we have external antenna 7131 models?

BR-AP7131N66E40WW: Brocade Mobility - Access Point - 7131 Series - Dual radio 802.11a/b/g/n. RP-SMA antenna

connectors (antennas sold separately).Worldwide regulatory domains

BR-AP7131N66S70WW Brocade Mobility - Access Point - 7131 Series - Tri-radio 802.11a/b/g/n. RP-SMA antenna

connectors (antennas sold separately). Worldwide regulatory domains

Depending on your geography, we have US regulatory domain model and EU regulatory domain model too.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I can check with our WLAN product manager about converting integrated antenna model to external antenna model.

Thanks,

Sharan

Systems Engineer, Brocade

Contributor

Hi, Sharan!

Yes, i'm aware about the 7131 with external antennas.

I think that we could use internal antennas for the beginning, but maybe we'll need to enhance them with external antennas, that is why i've been wondering if it is possible to disconnect ML-2452-PTA2M3X3-2 which comes with 7131 and connect several external antennas.

Please check if this is a possible solution.

Thanks,

Alex.

Broadcom

Alex,

I just got this confirmed with the product manager. Yes, you can disconnect those ML-2452-PTA2M3X3-2 MIMO antenna module and connect external antennas.

Thanks,

Sharan

Contributor

Thank you so much!

Contributor

Are there TRIAL licenses exist for feature and AP/AAP licenses for Brocade WiNG/RFS ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook