Management Software

Occasional Contributor

adding 2nd switch to the fabric creates another fabric

[ Edited ]

Hello Experts,

We have a SAN fabric with a Brocade 6520 switch. We are now trying to add another 6520 to the same fabric however, the discovery feature, doesnt allow us to add the switch. It gives an error stating, Fabric with the same name already exists and we end up with a new fabric for 2nd switch.

However, we need a single fabric with 2 switches. We are doing this using BNA v14.1.0 and switch firmware is on v7.2.1.

Kindly advise on this.

-Karan

External Moderator

Re: adding 2nd switch to the fabric creates another fabric

@karan.patani

I assume both switch have same IP and Domain ID

in order to discovery in BNA each Switch must have unique IP and DID

TechHelp24
Brocade Moderator

Hi,

normally...if you have an existing fabric/switch discovered by BNA and you physically connect another switch to it it should be automatically added to the existing discovery without any further configuration necessary.

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Hello Antonio,

both the switches have their unique IP and Domain id.

However, the switch status is reflecting as 'Marginal' instead of 'Healthy'. could this cause an issue. I assume not still mentioning the current status.

-karan

Occasional Contributor

Hello Thomas,

So we recently moved these switches from an old DC. Now we have re-IP them and trying to add them in BNA and both the switches end up having their own fabric rather than connecting to the same.

-karan

Brocade Moderator

Hi Karan,

and we are sure that the 2 switches have formed a fabric? Is the ISL up and online or segmented some how?

switchshow, islshow, etc...

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
External Moderator

@karan.patani

if you want toadd the second switch in the same Fabric, also as ISL, you need simple in BNA to Rediscover the Fabric already present and not add as NEW Switch.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello Antonio,

I am not sure how to add the switch as ISL from BNA. The only option I get under Discover are Fabric, Host Adapters, VM Managers and Servers.

Also, if I click on button Seed Switch after selecting the fabric, I get this error message.

"There are no other switches capable of acting as Seed switch in the fabric xxxx."

-Karan

External Moderator

@karan.patani

go to ->Discover and Select Fabric

a Discover Fabrics window opened

Select the Fabric Name, and click on Rediscover.

( Note: in my screen example ignore the Alert )

BTW, i noted Thomas already suggested the same in his preview Post !!!

Discover Fabrics

TechHelp24
Brocade Moderator

Karan,

what I requested is nothing you can do in BNA. I was asking if the two switches have successfully formed a fabric from a FC perspective.

This can be checked by logging into the CLI of the switches and perform e.g. switchshow or islshow. Post the outputs if you wish.

Just to see if the E-Port has formed correctly a both ends. As I said, you should no need to configure anything in the BNA discovery if you just add another switch physically.

TL

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook