Management Software

Contributor

Upgrading BNA from 11.1.0 to 12.0.0

I am upgrading BNA from 11.1.0 to 12.0.0. While migration I got an error, so Migration didn't went well. As the support guy from Brocade suggested, First I installed BNA 12.0.0 and try to import from the Backup that I made from the BNA 11.1.0.

While restoring, I got an error "Restoring failed. The backup.manifest file is missing" but there is a Backup.manifest file in the location from where I am trying to restore file.

Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading BNA from 11.1.0 to 12.0.0

Greetings nshah.  If you are currently engaged with TAC/Support, please relay this information to them so they are aware.  If this is a defect or known issue, they will know how to proceed.  In the mean time, i did notice this thread that may or may not be of assistance.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am upgrading in Linux 64 bit Operating System ( Centos x64). I think- upgrading BNA from 11.1.X to 12.X.X is incompatible in Linux OS. I tried every possibilities and I am not succeed!

I almost describe my issues to more than 3 Tech/Support but I am not able to get the satisfied response. Finally I did the fresh installation of 12.0.0 and trying to restore the backup that I took from my previous version of BNA 11.1.0. But still I am getting an error.

Now I decide to installing BNA 12.0.0 form scratch and I am wondering, does fresh BNA installed able to redicover all the BNA device?

FYI- I am able to upgrade to 11.3.X but the upgrade/migration failed if I try to upgrading 12.0.0.

Upgrading form 11.1.0 BNA IP only Licensed version to 12.0.0 BNA IP only Licensed version.

Frequent Contributor

You can find the details in the BNA installation Guide : In your scenario following will be the procedure :

-Upgrade from BNA 11.0.1 to BNA 11.1.0 using the regular migration process

-Upgrade from BNA 11.1.0 to BNA 12.0.2 using the instructions in the Installation Guide .

Also please note that CentOS is not a supported OS for BNA . Always refer to the latest RN for the Supporting system / Installer requirements .

Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

I followed the same documentation and able to installed. That documentation only carry the regular documentation !

Might be CentOS is not a supported OS for BNA. But we are using CentOS from a long time. Since we don't have any problem upgrading to any version of 11. But might be some changes for the Ver 12.

Question-

If I do a fresh installation and update the SNMP in BNA, does BNA able to discover all the Brocade switches?

Frequent Contributor

Can you clarify what you mean by updating SNMP in BNA ? Do you mean changing the SNMP configuration ( community strings etc ?)

If this is a fresh installation of BNA you will have to rediscover all the devices manually since there was no database migration from an older version of BNA .

Hope this helps,

-Annie.

Contributor

Okay-- since none of the possibilities works for me, I Installed Red Hat 6.4 x64 version. I am able to install BNA 12.0.0 but when I try to migrate the Database from the Backup. It gives me an error " The specific location is invalid, please check the valid path and try again ". The path is correct, and I am sure the same path work in Centos.

The Document says, Redhat Ent Ver 6.1 x64 is the compatible version. But I think Ver 6.4 should work too or we need the same specific ver x6.1?

Can we use our same License, if we migrate from our existing Linux to windows server?

Valued Contributor

Hi,

The license is application based and the OS underneath should be transparent.

On the other hand, during the upgrade from Release 11 to Release 12, there are some database changes. This fact makes not possible to restore a Release 11 backup into a 12 installation.

I suggest you, if the normal migration operation does not work (BTW, what error did you get?), to try the following:

1.- Make a backup of the current Release 11 BNA environment.

2.- get another host (a x64 Virtual Machine of example)

3.- install Release 11 BNA on it

4.- restore the backup generated in 1.- on this VM

5.- upgrade to Release 12 on the VM

6.- make a new backup, now that the BNA in VM is up and running with Release 12.

7.- Perform a fresh install of Release 12 in the original server and restore the backup performed on the VM in step 6.-

Kind regards,

Felipon

Contributor

Hi Felipon,

Thank you for your reply.

I did according to your instruction.

1-Make Backup copy from 11.1.0

2- Get another host of x64 VM

3- Install Release 11 BNA on it

4- restore the backup generated in 1.

5- Upgrading to release 12 on the VM.

While upgrading to release 12, I get the same error (BTW, what error did you get?) ,2.jpg

Thanks,

Nishant

Valued Contributor

In the installation directory of bna 12.0.1 there must be a folder named logs. In it you will find a few log files that may help you find out what part of the upgrade is failing. Speaking by heart, i reckon that cw and dbupgrade are the logs you need to look into.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook