Management Software

Occasional Contributor

Upgrade of BNA from 11.1.x to 14.0.0

A few questions regarding updating BNA from 11.1.x to 14.x.x to maanage FC switches:

• Does the license key work regardless of manufacturer? We currently use HP branded but can I just download the Brocade version and use the license key or do I have to use HP as that is who the contract is with?
  • Can HP branded NA manage non-HP Brocade FC switches?
  • I don't care about historical data and want to update the OS at the same time. Can I just runup a new server, install 14 and use the license key from the 11.1.x version that I get from going to Help > License and just copy and paste it?
  • In terms of migrating the switches, I assume I need to remove the switches from the old NA server by going to Discover Fabrics > clicking on the Name and clicking Delete? This shouldn't affect the operation of the switch at all should it as its obviously in production. I then just do the reverse on the new server and Discover the fabric?
External Moderator

Re: Upgrade of BNA from 11.1.x to 14.0.0

pieman,

• Does the license key work regardless of manufacturer? We currently use HP branded but can I just download the Brocade version and use the license key or do I have to use HP as that is who the contract is with?

Theoretically, you should use the HP Package on the basis of Support and Maintenance contract.

• Can HP branded NA manage non-HP Brocade FC switches?

Yes, HP Distributed Package can manage HP, and non-HP Switches and/or thirds part OEM i.e. EMC. there is no limitation, and AFAIK, Brocade have no restrictions here, for a simple reason that would be absurd for customer with mixed Fabric/Switches from different OEM, and in such case shold purchase different BNA License.

• I don't care about historical data and want to update the OS at the same time. Can I just runup a new server, install 14 and use the license key from the 11.1.x version that I get from going to Help > License and just copy and paste it?

theoreticall should work, but I would sugges tto mage a simple test i.e. at you local PC or laptop, otherwise you can recovery the License by HP if you have a active maintenance contract

• In terms of migrating the switches, I assume I need to remove the switches from the old NA server by going to Discover Fabrics > clicking on the Name and clicking Delete? This shouldn't affect the operation of the switch at all should it as its obviously in production. I then just do the reverse on the new server and Discover the fabric?

if you want simple migrate, is not necessary to remove the switch from discovery.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

pieman,

just tested a NEW Installation with HP BNA version 14.0 , and copy the license from my native Brocade BNA and show to work.

I don't see any difference in the Software excepted OEM Information

BNA_No_License_SHOW.png

About HP B-series SAN Network Advisor 14.0.0.png

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I can do most of what I want.

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

if you want simple migrate, is not necessary to remove the switch from discovery.

Can you explain a bit more here? If I have BNA v 11.x actively managing a set of switches, shouldn't I need to remove them from that server first before I can add them to the new v14 server?

Is there a proper process to do this or can I just stop discovery on the v11 server and then discover the fabrics on the v14 server without affecting traffic?

External Moderator

is not necessary to stop or remove switch from discovery.

during the upgrade procedure BNA stop all services, unistall uneedeed file and then restart all services.

whe the installation is comleted you should see all swith in NEW BNA.

keep in mind, BNA Release 11.x use a native DB, begin Release 12.4 use BNA Postgresql.

I would suggest before you begin to backup the BNA DB.

If I remember correct, but not sure, a Migration procedure is available.

let me check, and come back to you question.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

is not necessary to stop or remove switch from discovery.

during the upgrade procedure BNA stop all services, unistall uneedeed file and then restart all services.

oh ok I'm not planning on upgrading the existing server though. I'm running up a new server with a new OS and want to move the switches over to the new server.

External Moderator

pieman,

sorry, I understand you want to upgrade to on the same server.

I would suggest simple to STOP all Services trough the BNA Management Console on the Old server, you can remover or delete it later when NEW installation is successfully.

this is the best and safely procedure,  - in any case the NEW Installation failed - , you can continue if necessary in the meantime to have access into the Fabric with old BNA.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook