Management Software

Occasional Contributor

Upgrade FM v5.0.0

Hi,

I'm new to the boards.  I've been trying to find information on the best way to upgrade our Fabric Manager. We have a very old version (5.0) and need to get to DCFM enterprise.  I know we need to get to version 5.4/5.5 before we can upgrade to DCFM - but do I really need to go the route of 5.0 - 5.1 - 5.3 - 5.4? I'm worried about the outage times and also possibly "blowing up" our SAN environment.  We have 200E/300 switches only & all the switches were recently upgraded to v6.2.0.

I was curious if it would be better to install a new "clean" version of DCFM enterprise on a new server and try to upload the switch configs (not sure if that is even possible).  Anyway, I'm looking for the best way to do this and also looking for any "gotcha's" that I should be aware of.  We have a limited upgrade window (about 5 hours) because our SAN runs all the backups in our environment.

Appreciate input from anyone who has gone through this procedure.

External Moderator

Re: Upgrade FM v5.0.0

Hi khutchi3,

First Step's before you can Upgrade to DCFM

Upgrade from v5.0 to v5.1

Upgrading From a Previous Version
NOTE: Fabric Manager v5.1 has a per-server licensing model. Upgrading to Fabric Manager v5.1.requires a new license key;

and license keys for versions prior to v5.0.x can no longer be used.
You can upgrade to Fabric Manager v5.1. from versions v4.4.x or v5.0; all configuration data is migrated to v5.1.

First upgrade earlier versions of Fabric Manager to v4.4.x and then to v5.1 in two steps.

Upgrade to v5.3

You can upgrade to Fabric Manager v5.3.0 only from versions v5.1.0 and v5.2.x; all configuration data is
migrated to v5.3.0. Upgrading Fabric Manager from v5.1.0 or v5.2.x to v5.3.0 does not require a new Fabric Manager license.

Upgrade to v5.5

You can upgrade to Fabric Manager v5.5.0 only from versions v5.3.x and v5.4.x; all configuration data is migrated
to v5.5.0. Upgrading Fabric Manager from v5.3.x or v5.4.x to v5.5.0 does not require a new Fabric Manager license.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, you did explain the upgrade process.  But I think we are just going to install the new DCFM on a different server.  Since we currently aren't tracking performance - we feel it's probably simpler to just do a clean install, backup & shut down the old FM & then re-discover our switches from the new DCFM tool.  This is an evaluation version of DCFM enterprise.

This is doable, correct?

Thanks again.

Super Contributor

If your want to use just a Eval, then Install in a NEW Server, and not upgrade the Productive Fabric Manager.

Occasional Contributor

We are only installing the eval version to make sure it works (and meets our needs).  The plan is to get the new Enterprise license and convert the eval version to the fully licensed version once we have all our switches discovered properly.  So we can still do this with a clean install on a new server, correct?  I mean, brocade allows for two instances for disaster recovery purposes anyway.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.