Management Software

New Contributor

Unable to discover some new switches

Good day to everyone!

I am a fresh networking guy. My employer has tasked me with setting up BNA from an old IronView installation they used to run but it stopped years ago. So I was able to get BNA 14.0.1 installed and it discovered everything just fine. However, I have added 4 switches (FCX648S) since then and only one of them has been discovered. I tried discovering them by IP but no go. All 4 switches were configured using standard template for configuration so they all have the same settings. Can anyone take a guess as to why 1 of them would be discovered by not the other 3?

Thanks!

Brocade Moderator

Re: Unable to discover some new switches

[ Edited ]

Good morning,

device type FCX648S is supported by BNA 14.0.1 which is good, the minimum firmware level should be 06.0.00, so can you please check if the switches are on 06.0.00 or above.

The most common reason in this case is an IP/firewall issue: Can you access all four switches from your BNA server via port 80/443? If you use SSL, try port 443, if not try port 80. I'm not familiar with FastIron switches but maybe you have activated an IPfilter/IPtables which prevents BNA from discovery of the affected switches.

AG

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
External Moderator

[ Edited ]

@bradis2cool4u

--->>>Can anyone take a guess as to why 1 of them would be discovered by not the other 3?

I assume snmp-client  on FCX is not configured, for this reason you cannot discover the switch trough BNA

login to the switch trough a CLI

1) telnet@TH24_ICX6430>enable

2) telnet@TH24_ICX6430#conf term
     telnet@TH24_ICX6430(config)#

3) telnet@TH24_ICX6430(config)#snmp-client
  A.B.C.D   IP address
  ipv6      IPv6 address
4) telnet@TH24_ICX6430(config)#snmp-client "set the PC/Server IP address where BNA is installed"

5) telnet@TH24_ICX6430(config)#write mem

to save the config.

now you should be able to discovery the switch.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

All the switches are running:

pyright (c) 1996-2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
UNIT 1: compiled on Mar 17 2010 at 22:15:04 labeled as FCXS07001b
(3805331 bytes) from Primary /foundry/FGS/os/FCXS07001b.bin
SW: Version 07.0.01bT7f1
Boot-Monitor Image size = 369286, Version:07.0.01T7f5 (grz07001)
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion, I updated the SNMP Client as you suggested but it made no difference. Below is the SNMP configurations for the one that is working:

snmp-server host A.B.C.230 version v3 xxxxxxxx
snmp-server host A.B.C.62 version v3 xxxxxxxx
snmp-server group admingroup v3 priv read all write all notify all
snmp-server user xxxxxxxx

This a non-working one after your suggested changes:

snmp-server host A.B.C.230 version v3 xxxxxxxx
snmp-server host A.B.C.62 version v3 xxxxxxxx
snmp-server group admingroup v3 priv read all write all notify all
snmp-server user xxxxxxxx
snmp-client A.B.C.62

.62 is the BNA server. BNA returns an "x.x.x.x did not respond to SNMP". These IPs were recycled from old switches in the same place, I'm not sure if that matters. The old switches are no longer showing in BNA.

External Moderator

please read whit care, i suggest to config the snmp-client and not the snmp-server
TechHelp24
New Contributor

On the non-working one, I did configure the SNMP Client as per your instructions. The SNMP server settings were already configured and are configured the same on all the switches.

External Moderator

@bradis2cool4u

I'll try to find old config guide for FW 07.0.xx , however I think this is the same as 07.4.xx and above

additional, accord the BNA Release Notes ( i see you want to use BNA 14.0.1 ) at least FW 07.1.x is required !!!!

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.