Management Software

New Contributor

Trunk Group "ghosts" in SAN Advisor (12.4.2)

We are attempting to reuse some ports on our 48000's (v6.4.3d) which used to connect as ISL to an edge switch (2 ports were in the trunk group at the time).  Whenever the new device's interfaces are enabled (EMC DD4200), the old trunk group appears in the SAN Advisor display with the connected port showing as newly discovered green and the other trunk member shows as down (it is permanently disabled).  There is no Symbolic Name info shown - typically there is some sort of HBA information from the remote adapter shown.

I have intentionally set the port to be F port only and disabled trunking.  No switch cli command gives any indication that it is part of a trunk group (trunkShow, portCfgShow).  If I go through the motions of trying to create an alias in SAN Advisor Zoning, it tells me "The object selected ion the Potential Member's tree cannot be used to identify an alias member for the WWN zoning method."  I can perform an aliCreate at the switch cli and cfgSave ... it shows up as an alias against the port in SAN Advisor.

I never use the view Port Display | UnOccupied Product Ports, but if I turn that on, it seems to be remembering all our previous trunk groups (we have decommissioned several edge switches over the years).

Where is it remembering this info and how to clear it?

Regards,

Art

New Contributor

Re: Trunk Group "ghosts" in SAN Advisor (12.4.2)

Confirmed it has nothing to do with the new device by choosing another non-previous trunk port on the 48000 switch ... it is discovered normally.

I see that this thread should have been posted in the Management Software Product Forum.  Can it be moved and hopefully someone there can explain where SAN Advisor is storing this old trunk group information.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Art

External Moderator

@awiens

move the Thread in correct Forum.

about you question:

->We are attempting to reuse some ports on our 48000's 

before you can re-use those Port's already registered in BNA, you have to decommission the port's affected

go to

Configure->Port Commissioning

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for moving it.

Port Decommissioning is greyed out on the individual ex-trunk members but is available on the ex-trunk group - right-click | Decommission | All ports on the trunk group - but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Reading about decommissioning it says "When the decommission is complete, an application event displays in the Master Log detailing success or failure." ... no messages appear.

Is Port (De)Commissioning even applicable?  More reading shows "NOTE: Port commissioning is only supported on FICON devices running Fabric OS 7.1 or later." which this environment is neither.

Art

Highlighted
External Moderator

Hi @awiens

->Port commissioning is only supported on FICON devices running Fabric OS 7.1 or later

yes this is correct, I thought of the basis of the issue you have a FICON einvironments.

have you checked if the Trunk Port's was added in Zone config ?

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook