Management Software

Occasional Contributor

SMI-S agent and ProSphere

Hi,

I installed SMI-S agent on a Linux VM so that EMC ProSphere can discover the Brocade switches. It seems that everything is fine on the VM, but maybe I am missing something. I started the server following the instructions on the User Guide (i.e.  start_server and start_user_agent) and after that, this is the result of the netstat command:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5988            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5989            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

So far, so good.

Then, when I go to ProSphere (mutual authentication disabled) and try to discover the switches through the SMI agent (IP) it says: Detection Failure: SMI provider  accessed by Brocade switches does not contain any SMI profiles required for discovery.

How can I define those profiles? Do I need DCFM?

Occasional Contributor

Re: SMI-S agent and ProSphere

By the way, the model of the Brocade switch is DS-6510 and it uses FOS v7.0.1.

Frequent Contributor

I had someone look at the problem you are seeing .

Can you share additional details on “installed SMI-S agent on a Linux VM”? Have you deployed standalone provider to discover Brocade switches?

We don’t really need to configure any profiles from the Prosphere side. If the provider is installed properly you should be able to run the discovery and enumerate classes on the provider. Hence, if you could please share logs on the agent/provider host and confirm that a SMI-S client request is successful on the host where agent is installed, we can determine what is wrong from the logs.

On ProSphere discovery appliance, if you could share logs from /var/log/srm-dcf*.log, we will be able to investigate and share our analysis.We need logs from two locations on discovery appliance à /var/log/srm-dcf*.log  and  /opt/DMT/local/logs/*.      

Also would be really helpful if you can get us the following information .

1) Is username and password configured through SMI Agent configuration tool?  That’s what customer has to key-in while creating Access credentials in ProSphere.

2) What are the Seed switch privileges (user or admin etc..) added into SMI Agent?  If it’s not of admin privileges, ask them to add a user with admin privileges and give it a try.

3) Is AG switch discovered in the SMI Provider?   

4) Is it a standalone SMI Provider?  If so, what’s the version?

Thanks ,

Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thank you very much for your answer.

Now, the situation is a bit different. I installed BNA (Brocade Network Advisor) and I discovered the DS-6510. And also from ProSphere I can see it.

What happens now is that we need to discover another Brocade switch, specifically, VDX-6730, which is NOS. I read that SMI agent cannot discover NOS switches, but does it the BNA?

Frequent Contributor

Yes BNA can discover and manage the VDX 6730 switches . Are you having issues discovering a VDX device within BNA ?

If yes can you please share the Network Advisor version and also the NOS version on the VDX ?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I just realized that the way to discover NOS switches must be using the IP discovery tool, not the SAN one, since VDX6730 are not Fabric.

Now I am trying to discover other vendor switches that we have. It says: "You need to enable Third Party Product discovery to discover the product". Is there any special protocol that I have to enable whitin the switch?

Frequent Contributor

Visualization and zoning on the VDX 6730 is done from the IP side .

IP+SAN version of BNA is going to be helpful if you want to see where the 6730s are connected to .

Do you mean the third party tools or the third party devices in BNA ? As far as the third party devices are concerned you should nt have to do anything special on the BNA to discover them . If there is a message you see can you please share with us .

Thanks,

-Annie.

Occasional Contributor

I mean third party devices in BNA. When I introduce the IP of one of those devices it says  "You need to enable Third Party Product discovery to discover the product". It seems that a special action is required on those devices in order to be discovered, am I right?

brocadeDiscovery.JPG

Frequent Contributor

Are you trying to discover a SAN device or IP ?

If it is IP you need to go to Discover > Global Settings > OID filter .

Here you will see an option to check Discover third party products . Once you do that you should be able to discover .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook