Management Software

Optical monitoring sends conflicting alarms

I have BNA 12.4.4 and a MLX-32 with a couple of 20 port 10g linecards. Optical monitoring is enabled with the default interval (3 minutes) on the router. When I discover the MLX with BNA, everything looks good but then the reachabilty starts flapping up and down every few minutes and I get optical monitor warnings/alarms on ports that are in use. I fixed the reachabilty problem by increasing the asset polling intervals by a minute each (we think this is an snmp problem.) The optical alarms are still happening and it seems like it's a bug because I get alarms that have conflicting reports. here is an example:

Jul 10 09:31:33 128.55.192.54     Latched high Temperature warning, port 15/1      Latched low Temperature warning, port 15/1      Latched high Supply Voltage warning, port 15/1      Latched low Supply Voltage warning, port 15/1      Latched low TX Bias Current warning, port 15/1      Latched high TX Power warning, port 15/1      Latched low TX Power warning, port 15/1

Jul 10 08:17:05 128.55.192.54     Latched high RX Power alarm, port 16/1      Latched low RX Power alarm, port 16/1

See how the warnings conflict with each other? How can you have a high temp and a low temp at the same time? The optics are from Brocade so it shoudn't be a compatiblity problem. And the other strange thing is this only occurs when BNA is monitoring the router. When I remove the router from BNA, the alarms go away.

Any idea what is causing this and what the solution may be? thx.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook