For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Management Software

Occasional Contributor

How Switch Port utilization is calculated in BNA?

[ Edited ]

Is there any mathematical formula which can explain the logic behind calculating the BNA Switch Port utilization? I would like to confirm if BNA is reporting correct values.

Because the port traffic is very less whereas utilization is showing 100%. How can the utilization is 100% when the port traffic is less?

Regards,
Amit Dhane
New Contributor

What is calculation or formula for port throughput%28Transfer Rate%29 and Port utilization with example

Hi All,

How port throughput and utilization is calculated (formula). Please provide us the example for FC switch port.

Regards,

Dnyaneshwar

External Moderator

Re: What is calculation or formula for port throughput%28Transfer Rate%29 and Port utilization with example

@Dnyaneshwar

I moved the thread to Fibre Channel Forum, and notice is another threads with the same/ similarly question posted yesterday.

https://community.brocade.com/t5/Management-Software/How-Switch-Port-utilization-is-calculated-in-BNA/m-p/97350

are you the same user ?

TechHelp24

Re: What is calculation or formula for port throughput%28Transfer Rate%29 and Port utilization with example

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for taking forward this request. Yes, we are from the same organization.

Let me provide some more details for this request.

For Port Tx/Rx percent utilization, we have observed formula in "Brocade Monitoring and Alerting Policy Suite Configuration Guide, 8.1.0" on page no. 37 as (traffic/port speed)*100.

But when we have done actual calculations then calculated value comes somewhat different.

Tx = 204.317 Mb/s
Port Speed = 8 Gb/s

After calculation Tx Utilization(%) = 2.55

But on BNA server Tx Utilization(%) has observed as 24.04

Is there any other formula has been used for calculation? If yes, Could you please provide it to us.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhushan Patil

New Contributor

Is there any mathematical formula which can explain the logic behind calculating the BNA Switch Port

[ Edited ]

Is there any mathematical formula kissanime which can explain the logic groupme behind calculating the BNA Switch Port utilization? I would like to confirm if BNA is reporting correct values. Because the port traffic is very less whereas letgo utilization is showing 100%. How can the utilization is 100% when the port traffic is less?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Is there any mathematical formula which can explain the logic behind calculating the BNA Switch Port

Shane,

Kindly let me know if you happen to know the calculation of port utilization in BNA.

Regards,
Amit Dhane

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Are you sure that TX trafic you picked up is in Mb (bits) and not in MB (bytes) ?

BNA (performance graph ) or portperfshow command diplay value in MB/s.

If it was MB/s, the result of your calculation would be close from what BNA Tx utilization was displaying.

Calculation : [ (8*0.204317) / 8 ] / 100 = 20.4317 %

BNA server Tx Utilization(%) has observed as 24.04

Regards,

jms.

Occasional Visitor

Re: Is there any mathematical formula which can explain the logic behind calculating the BNA Switch Port

I dont know very much about BNA calculation process. But I know about How to managed and calculate SAN port count using the following rules:

• Only switches discovered from the SAN tab are counted.
• The switch port must be licensed.
• The ports must belong to a currently monitored fabric.
• ICL ports are not counted.
• The port must be a physical port (for example, VE_Ports are not counted on the 4 Gbps router
extension switch; however, the gigabit ports are counted).
• Access Gateway ports are counted.
• The ports from discovered Virtual Fabrics are counted.
• The ports from managed Fabric OS switches are counted.
• The ports from unmanaged, unreachable, and missing switches are not counted.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.