Management Software

New Contributor

EFCM server migration and upgrade

Hello,

As part of a larger project (moving from a 6064 to a 48k) we'd like to first upgrade our EFCM server.

Current server is an aging windows laptop with EFCM 7.01. I want to migrate the management to a newer IBM blade running SuSE 10 and use EFCM 9.7.4.

To complicate things, the 6064 being managed is running an old firmware - 6.02.00.

Do I need to upgrade the firmware on the switch before moving forward with the EFCM upgrade, or should EFCM be upgraded first?

Reading thru the docs, it looks like I would need to upgrade 7.01 -> 7.2 -> 9.1 -> 9.7.

What is the best way to approach this?  At what point in the upgrade path should I migrate data from windows to SuSE and continue the upgrade?

Any info is appreciated.

External Moderator

Re: EFCM server migration and upgrade

jonesy,

a little complexed, and in a moust case...... work fine.

---Do I need to upgrade the firmware on the switch before moving forward with the EFCM upgrade,.....

YES. your must first upgrade the switch from current EOSc 6 to 7 to 8 to 9, and then upgrade the EFCM step-by-step

To make sure the EFCM DB is currect saved and update, you need a intermediate Release from the current EFCM 7 to EFCM 9.5, before you can upgrade to another higher EFCM Release, because EFCM 9.7.x ( same by 9.6 ) is supported only by a Minimum EOSc Rel. 9.1.

Interopmode. Is the 6064 cunrrent in McDATA Native mode or in Open Mode ?

Same game by the 48000, you must make sure, both FabOS and EOSc are compatible and supported.

whe your connect both 6064 and 48000, the FOS must be set as Interopmode 2 when the 6064 is in McDATA Mode

or Interopmode 3 with Open Mode. Please note, some command are in the FOS by non-native Mode not longer available.

what is the FOS Release by 48000 ?

Your wrote here:

---moving from a 6064 to a 48k

Will the 6064 remain as Productive, or do your need only to migrate the config ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response!

• The 6064 is currently McData Fabric 1.0 mode.
  • The 48k is FOS v6.1.2
  • The 6064 will remain in production while we move connections to the 48k.  We have about 25 hosts connected to the 6064 and will move them a few at time over several weekends to minimize impact to production.  Our first step (after EFCM and firmware upgrades) is to ISL the 2 switches and then move a few ports at a time.

YES. your must first upgrade the switch from current EOSc 6 to 7 to 8 to 9, and then upgrade the EFCM step-by-step

Will I need to upgrade EFCM as I'm upgrading the 6064 firmware or can I complete the EOS upgrade to 9 while EFCM is still running 7.01?  Chicken and the egg. ;-)

What is the best way to get my EFCM DB/config migrated from windows server to SuSE server?  The windows box is running NT (yes, very old) so I'm assuming I'll need to migrate to the SuSE 10 server early in the upgrade process.

External Moderator

jonesy,

attached the transaction guide for migration EFCM 7 to 8.

In order of EOS Upgrade, you need first to upgrade the EOSc from the current 6.x to 7.x before you can upgraed to EFCM 9.

Please save before start a upgrade all config from switch.

---What is the best way to get my EFCM DB/config migrated from windows server to SuSE server?

Good question, i dont think you can import or move direct the old EFCM 7 DB direct in a new Linux DB Box with any EFCM 9 or higher, because ( i believe ? am me not sure ) EFCM 9.00.00 is the first "Server Side" supported Linux Release, lower release dont are support by Linux OS.

I must think before I you somewhat say can about that.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

concerning the EFCM rel. notes 9.00.00 is attached, and McDATA say.....

"If you have EFCM 6.X, 7.0, or 7.1, you must upgrade to EFCM 7.2

before you can upgrade to EFCM 9.0."

Courios is... i have here ALL! and much more!  available EFCM release and i dont know any 07.02.00 Release.

I coming back, after i get a answer from a Certain Person, about this Mystery 7.2 Release

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.