Management Software

New Contributor

DCX-4S backbone discovery issue

Hi,

We have an issue with discovering DCX-4S from DCFM. Both DCFM and DCX-4S are new installation.

DCFM is the only switch in the fabric. Running initial discovery we are getting "application time out" message from DCFM.

Both devices are pingable from each other, name resolution works also and there is no firewall in between.

I am confused by the Note on page 46 (and other pages) of the "DCFM Enterprise User Manual" saying "The Backbone Chassis cannot be used as a seed switch". Does it mean that if I have only Backbone Chassis in my SAN I will not be able to discover them from DCFM?

Sounds strange...

DCX-4S runs FOS 6.4.0, DCFM version is 10.4.3

Will greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks,

Gregory

Valued Contributor

Re: DCX-4S backbone discovery issue

A seed switch is the switch from which DCFM discovers the fabric.

A DCX is considered an Backbone switch.

The answer would be DCFM is unasable if you only have DCX's in your fabric.

Which is odd considering other documentation which states a DCX is recommended as seed switch for larger installation.

I'm refering to http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/technical_briefs/FM_to_DCFM_Migration_GA-SG-119-02.pdf ,which is to be honest dated.

It explains how to migrate from FM to DCFM. Although outdated it shows that Brocade, at one time, support a DCX as seed switch and even recomended them.

Maybe whoever sold you this or who you have a support contract with is willing to help out.

Super Contributor

Did you have Virtual Fabric enabled on the switch?

If so you need to setup SNMPv3 correctly on the switch.

Follow the Brocade FOS admin Guide run correct setup.

I hope this helps.

Andreas

New Contributor

Bingo Andreas,

I've figured it out about 2 hours ago. As soon as I disabled the virtual fabric DCFM recognized the switch.

Still wondering why Brocade manual states that it is not supported...

Thank you very much for help

Gregory

New Contributor

Hi,

I've able to discover the backbone after I disabled the virtual fabric feature. It required SNMP v3 and we use v1 only.

But you are right, the fact that Brocade don't recommend now to use backbones as a seed switch is strange.

Thank you very much for help

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook