Management Software

Occasional Contributor

DCFM - Restore a backup

Hi all,

is anybody able to restore a backup of a DCFM Enterprise Server? A Customer tried it and I tried it too, but no success.

When I type in the directory (C:\Backup\Backup\) the error message is:

"There is no data to restore in this directory"

The directory:     C:\Backup\Backup>dir

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is C463-6F25

Directory of C:\Backup\Backup

09.08.2010  09:16    <DIR>          .
09.08.2010  09:16    <DIR>          ..
09.08.2010  09:16               241 BACKUP.MANIFEST
09.08.2010  09:16    <DIR>          cimom
09.08.2010  09:16    <DIR>          conf
09.08.2010  09:16    <DIR>          databases
               1 File(s)            241 bytes
               5 Dir(s)   5.176.762.368 bytes free

C:\Backup\Backup>

If I tell the SMC to restore from the "BACKUP.MANIFEST" File (C:\Backup\Backup\BACKUP.MANIFEST) the error message is:

"The specified file is invalid"

I made a manual backup some some minutes before. The Version ist 10.4.2 (Brocade Version) or a 10.4.1 at the customer.

Has anybody an idea whats wrong?

Super Contributor

Re: DCFM - Restore a backup

Dorde,

What is the exact Installation Folder/Location  from DCFM ?

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

does this matter? The DCFM is installed on a Windows Server 2003. All Settings are on default values. Nothing special.

The Installation path should be "C:\Programme\DCFM 10.4.2\" (german Windows) or maybe "C:\Program Files\DCFM 10.4.2" (english Windows)

I wonder why the backup (taken some Minutes ago) is not valid or not "visible" for the Sever Managment Console.

Regards,

Dorde

Super Contributor

--->>>does this matter?

YES!

Germany, English or whatever for language, this is not a matter.

Read accurately the user guide, DCFM DB cannot be installed in C:\

Occasional Contributor

The problem still exists.

The customer has migrated his DCFM Server from a VM to a real maschine. We also attached a second Disk to the Windows Server (D:) and installed the DCFM  into D:\Program Files\DCFM 10.4.1. Installation an migration was smooth and without any errors.

By the way, the suggestion or Default Folder of DCFM was "C:\Program Files\...".

BUT: The Backup runs still successfully and the restore fails.

The DCFM is installed in "D:\Program Files\DCFM 10.4.1" and the Backup's are places on "D:\Backup". When I try to restore the Error Message is still the same.

Occasional Contributor

Hi all, if anybody has the same problem here's the answer:

But first: It does not depend where DCFM is installed. The recommendation is not too use the same volume for backup and installation. And there is a recommendation not to install the DCFM Software on C: (Windows)

When you configure the Backup for the DCFM you must type in a path where the Backup-Data should be placed. For example "D:\". The DCFM will create a folder called "Backup". Now, if you want to restore, open the "Server Management Console", stop the Services go to "Restore" and type in "D:\" and not "D:\Backup". DCFM will find the "Backup"-folder and restore the data.

I'ts a little bit strange and there's no document which describes the restore process.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook