Management Software

Contributor

Cannot logon to Network Advisor 11.1.4 via web browser

I am using NA 11.1.4 which is installed on a Windows 2008 machine.  I have no problems logging on when I remotely connect to the machine.  However, when I try to access NA via a web browser (java webstart) when the logon prompt appears an error message is in the bottom left part of the box saying "unknown host" and my only option is to exit (login button is grayed out).  Is there some additional setup that needs to be done in order to access NA via the web browser?  I can't seem to find an answer to this but would like to have the option of using the Network Advisor via remote connection, or web interface. 

Thanks.

Dave

Frequent Contributor

Re: Cannot logon to Network Advisor 11.1.4 via web browser

Are you specifying the port number in the URL when launching the client . Please see instructions below .

Windows and Linux: Follow the below steps on launching the client from a web browser.

- To launch the Network Advisor Client from a remote host, launch the client as follows:

Open a browser window and type the Network Advisor server hostname or IP address in the Address field; for example:

http://NetworkAdvisorServerhost1.companyname.com/

http://192.x.y.z/

- If when the Network Advisor server was installed, a Network Advisor web server port number was specified (instead of the default 80); you must specify the port number after the hostname or IP address. In the following examples, 8080 is the web server port number:

http:// NetworkAdvisorServerhost1.companyname.com:8080/

http://192.x.y.z:8080/

Please note that the required Client Oracle JRE version has now changed to 1.6.0_33. For remote clients, this JRE needs to be installed prior to establishing a server connection.

Contributor

Hi Annie, thanks for your reply.

No, I am not specifying the port number in the URL when launching the client.  The web port is setup to use port 80 as is the default - based on that it's not necessary to include the port number in the URL.  Bringing up the Network Advisor web page is not an issue, the issue occurs after click the "Web Start the IBM Network Advisor Client".  Seems to load the application jar(?) files.  Once that's complete it launches a login screen and this is where I get the issue.  For some reason this server name field is blank.  On another system where I have Network Advisor installed, this field is populated with the server name.  After comparing the setup of the two I cannot tell what's different.

Frequent Contributor

Can you please check if the BNA server machine is added in DNS ? If not please add the hostname in host file ( client machine ) and see if this fixes the issue . Or try to ping the BNA server hostname from the remote client launched machine to confirm the same . If the machine is unreachable please share the BNA supportsave file and i will have someone analyze the files .

Thanks.

Contributor

Yes, the BNA server appears to be in DNS.  But I added it to my etc/hosts file on my machine anyway but still get the same result.  So the host is reachable via ping and by putting the URL into a browser, it's just after launching Java which creates the logon prompt where this error occurs.  As I tried to portray above, no server name is being populated into the Server Name field.  If there is a log somewhere in Network Advisor that captures this error I'd be glad to provide it to someone.  But I don't know where that log would be. 

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Can you please collect the client.log file?

The client.log file would be present in <Windows user Dir >/Networkadvisor/<BNAserver ipaddress>

For example, C:\Users\John\Network Advisor\1.1.1.1

Thanks,

-Annie.

Contributor

Thanks Annie.

client.log is attached...........at least I hope it is

Frequent Contributor

I am being told that the server name is not resolvable from the client machine ( DNS not configured ) dstnetworkadv.raleigh.ibm.com . Can you please add an entry in the host file ( remote client machine ) and see if that resolves the issue .

Thanks,

-Annie.

Contributor

That did not seem to work.

I added the hostname to the hosts file on the server where Network Advisor is hosted, as well as my own server where I am attempting to access the GUI from.

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate all your help.

Frequent Contributor

Can you please try to ping using the FQDN ( Fully qualified Domain Name ) of the BNA server from the remote client machine ?  And let me know the result . I believe your FQDN is dstnetworkadv.raleigh.ibm.com .

-Annie.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook