Management Software

New Contributor

Brocade Netwrok Advisor: How to configure SNMP context?

Greetings,

I have a 100% working SNMP setup (v2c and V3) on a Brocade VDX6740T, I am using the management vrf to pull out information of the device. As expected without the context defined on the BNA I am having authentication errors.

How to configure SNMP context in the Brocade Netwrok Advisor?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Brocade Netwrok Advisor: How to configure SNMP context?

Hello,

As per BNA 12.4, Below are the steps for adding SNMP Credentials to BNA:

A) Adding SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c credentials:

1. Select Discover > IP Products.
The Discover Setup - IP dialog box displays.
2. Click the Global Settings tab.
3. Click the SNMP tab.

4. Enter a unique label to identify the community string in the Display Label field of the Add/Edit
Read-Write Community Strings list. This label can be from 1 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters.
5. Enter the unique community string in the Community String field.
The community string can be from 1 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters. The string displays as asterisks. Select the Show Password check box to view the password. The user can view the password only if the user has the password visibility privilege.
6. Click the right arrow button to add the read-write community string to the Selected Read-Write Community Strings list.

7. Click Apply to save your work.
8. Click Close to close the Discover Setup - IP dialog box.
9. Click Yes on the confirmation message.

B) Adding SNMPv3 credentials

1. Select Discover > IP Products.
The Discover Setup - IP dialog box displays.
2. Click the Global Settings tab.
3. Click the SNMP tab.

4. Enter a unique label to identify the credentials in the Display Label field of the Add/Edit SNMPv3 Read-Write Credentials area.
This label can be from 1 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters.
5. Enter the SNMPv3 user name in the User ID field. The user name can be from 1 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters.
6. Select one of the following protocols from the Authentication Protocol list:
• None
• HMAC_MD5
• HMAC_SHA
7. Enter the SNMPv3 authentication password in the Authentication Password field. The password can be from 8 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters. The password displays as asterisks. Select the Show Password check box to view the password. The user can view the password only if the user has the password visibility privilege.
8. Select one of the following protocols from the Privacy Protocol list:
• None
• CBC-DES
• CFB_AES-128
If you select a privacy protocol, the selected protocol encrypts the SNMP request and response packets.
9. Enter the privacy password in the Privacy Password field. The password can be from 1 through 16 characters long, case sensitive, and allows all printable ASCII characters. The password displays as asterisks. Select Show Password check box to view the password. The user can view the password only if the user has the password visibility privilege.

10. Click the right arrow button to add the SNMPv3 read-write credentials to the Selected SNMPv3 Read-Write Credentials list.

11. Click Apply to save your work.
12. Click Close to close the Discover Setup - IP dialog box.
13. Click Yes on the confirmation message.

Hope this helps addressing your concern.

Kind Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
New Contributor

Greetings Osama,

Thank you for the information, it is inline with the  Brocade Network Advisor IP User Manual - Supporting Brocade Network Advisor 14.3.0 & 14.4.0.

Nevertheless ther is no mention to the SNMP context on the SNMPv1,  SNMPv2c credentials and SNMPv3 credentials.

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

Got confused between content and context. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Don't recall having to configure any SNMPv3 Context in BNA for VDX Platform. Which task are you preforming that results in the Authentication error?

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
New Contributor

Greetings Osama,

I have a spine-leaf IP fabric with  VDX6740 &  VDX6940, plus a MLX cluster, all these devices have multiple tenants/VRF, the management interfaces are connected to an out of band network built with ICX. The management interfaces are all in a separate management VRF.

At this moment, from my linux mgmt server and BNA server I can pull out snmp using test tools or CLI. But from the BNA I got a degradated link due to no SNMP.

Do you have any sugestion for me? (This is a new deployment, I will delete all devices from the inventory and rediscover them again)

Highlighted
Brocade Moderator

Greetings,

I've looked where to entre snmp Context in BNA and couldn't find it either. Not sure this is the cause of the degraded link though.

I recommend raising a TAC case to avoid delays in getting this sorted.

Regards,

Os 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook