Management Software

Highlighted
jo
Visitor

Brocade Network Advisor server as VM or physical?

Hello all,

I am currently planning to setup a BNA in our environment where we would like to manage our Brocade FC environment for the 3 Datacenters (currently we are using the HP B-series SAN Network Advisor 12.0.0 for 1 Datacenter to manage the FC environment). The other 2 Datacenter will also now get a Brocade FC environment.

I am wondering if my BNA server should be a VM or physical? The reason why I currently prefer a physical box is because my virtual environment also dependents on the SAN which is connected to the FC environment.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jo

Brocadian

Re: Brocade Network Advisor server as VM or physical?

It's probably a good idea to make sure that it is independent of the SAN. Otherwise it gets tough if you do need to troubleshoot a major issue.

I would probably still run it as a VM, but just use local storage. i.e. install ESXi on a server, and run a single VM on the server for BNA. Performance will be near-identical to running BNA directly on the server, but the advantage is that you can easily move it to a new server if/when you need to upgrade the underlying hardware. Also makes it easy to do snapshots, etc.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.