Management Software

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

BNA upgrade from 12.4.1 to 14.0.3 - disk space

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade BNA from 12.4.1 to 14.0.3 but it's eating up disk space like it's going out of fashion. We're running BNA on a VM and throwing more disk at it but currently we're at 520GB and it's still going. Our 12.4.1 DB was around 150GB - which I think is quite large, but even with all that extra disk it's still going. As I type there's 20GB free with no sign of it stopping.

I'm begining to think that the migration has got stuck somewhere - it's currently on the 'Data Migration' step.

Has anyone else experienced this or got any recommendations on a better way to proceed?

Thanks

Jack

Brocade Moderator

Re: BNA upgrade from 12.4.1 to 14.0.3 - disk space

Hi Jack ,

First make sure your system meets the minimum pre-installation requirements

1. To manage more than 9000 SAN ports or 200 IP devices, you must have a 16 core processor, 16GB RAM.
  2. To efficiently manage more than 9000 SAN ports or 200 IP devices, it is recommended to allocate minimum of 2 GB client memory and 6 GB server memory.
  3. If you use sFlow, it is recommended that you add an additional 100 GB of disk space.
  4. It is recommended that you add an additional 40 GB of disk space for the default temporary directory.
  5. If you enable periodic supportSave or configure the Network Advisor server as the Upload Failure Data Capture location for monitored switches, you must add additional disk space. Each switch supportSave file is approximately 5 MB and each Upload Failure Data Capture file is approximately 500 KB. To determine the disk space requirements, multiply the frequency of scheduled supportSave files by 5 MB and the expected Upload Failure Data Capture files by 500 KB before the planned periodic purge activity.

Resources

Small

Medium

Large

Installed Memory

16GB

16GB

16GB

Processor Core Count (including physical and logical cores)

(1 physical and 1 virtual)

(2 physical and 2 virtual)

(4 physical and 4 virtual)

Disk Space

20GB

80GB

100GB

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided
solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If
you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through
Brocade, or through  your OEM equipment provider.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the response. We've done a lot of monitoring of the server and the specs we're running seem fine - 2vCPU and 8GB RAM. that isn't being touched at the moment during the upgrade.

the issue is disk space during the upgrade, it's just eating through LOADS of disk - currently at 370GB and counting.

I did read somewhere in the the release notes that only a migration from a partitial uninstall is possible (which I haven't done btw) but I would have thought it would flag that as an issue - given the fact it refuses to migrate data from other scenerios. To be honest the install and migration guide is a bit of a mine field due to all the possible combinations that you can have so I did find myself having conflicting plans.

any further updates would be much appreciated as I'm reluctant to throw more disk at it

thanks

Jack

External Moderator

@JackGray

->..... 2vCPU 

is this a VM Instalation ?

and, is the \Backup folder - is most probable the issue - on the same Disk as the BNA Installation Folder ?

here is a DOC for Upgrade Step-by-Step

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Management-Software/Brocade-Network-Advisor-Upgrade-Migration-from-12-4-x-to-14-0-1/ta-p/87273

If you are not able to Upgrade to from 12.4.1 to 14, I would suggest first to Start a upgrade to 12.4.4

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response,

yes it's a VM installation - never had a problem with the CPU and RAM specs.

I have pretty much followed that guide anyway on my upgrade - apart from I'm installing to a data Drive E. It's still on your 'Figure 6' - Migration. I'm fully expecting it to eat all of the disk I've given it and fail again (although disk consumption has slowed down a fair bit this afternoon).

I'll try what you suggest and upgrade to 12.4.4 if this doesnt't work and then go to 14.0.1 and then 14.0.3.

do you know if I need to do a partial uninstall like the Brocade manual suggests?

thanks

Jack

External Moderator

it is not a issue related to RAM or Disk space, that not a question.

\Backup folder shold be reside on different disk

in example:

C:\ BNA_INSTALLATION_FOLDER

D:\BACKUP_FOLDER

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

do you mean the <BNA INSTALL FOLDER>\Backup or the backup location in the config?

External Moderator

--->>>do you mean the <BNA INSTALL FOLDER>\Backup

BNA_Backup_Folder

correct

the backup Folder should reside on Different Disk

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

our backups are configured to go to a UNC path on the network, but I think it still backs it up locally first (I think?)

External Moderator

post please a screen-shot from BNA install folder with subfolder tree.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook