Management Software

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

BNA - how do I change the snmp alerting threshold?

I am receiving continuous alerts (every 2 minutes) that the temperature of a switch is above the warning threshold. While I work to resolve it, it would be nice to change the threshold to something closer to shutdown temp rather than receiving this alert every two minutes.

I am struggling to decypher the manual enough to figure this out. I can get into the "Add Event Action" but I don't see anywhere to change the alert threshold from 45.0 degrees C to 50.0

Alternatively, can I set the alert to only repeat once per day?

Mark

Valued Contributor

Re: BNA - how do I change the snmp alerting threshold?

I think you might need to change this on the switch side.
Brocade Moderator

Hi Mark,

which version of FOS are you on and are you using MAPS or Fabric Watch. Short summary:

1, With Fabric Watch, you can change the threshold

2. With MAPS, you cannot change the threshold, and pause does not work either. You possible create a new warning rule, if you are having full MAPS (Fabric Vision license or APM plus FW license).

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the help guys. I was hoping for a magic bullet.

this is a simple SNMP monitoring of an older switch (FES4802) without any fabric or MAPS defined. The sw on the switch does not seem to have any options for changing thresolds that I can find so I was hoping to be able to alter the values in BNA.

Is there a way to turn off alerting for that one option? I don't seem to have the option on the switch to not report over-temp problems:

#snmp-server enable traps ?
  authentication
  cold-start                 warm/cold start
  fan-failure
  holddown-time              Trap hold down time during system initialization
  link-down
  link-up
  locked-address-violation
  mac-authentication
  metro-ring
  new-root
  power-supply-failure
  topology-change
  vsrp

and I am not savvy enough in BNA yet to know how to go in and turn off reporting for just overtemp warnings on the one switch.
Mark

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark,

you need to change on the switch and on BNA.  FES4802 - FastIron Edge 4802 switch?  What version of software it on the switch?

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Correct, This is a layer 2 FastIron Edge Switch FES4802, running version 03.7.00aTc1

its pretty old, I doubt there are any options to change at the switch.

Brocade Moderator

Hi Mark,

i am SAN guy, but found the following (on the net) - waiting on a network guy to step up - on page 61 - not sure if you software level support in ...

https://www.bestcom.com.tw/userfiles/file/Brocade_IP/FastIronCompact_05000_InstallGuide.pdf

Changing the Temperature Warning Level on a FES

The FES sends a warning message whenever the device’s internal temperature reaches the default or configured

warning temperature. You can change the warning temperature using the following command:

FastIron(config)#temperature warning 47

Syntax: temperature warning <value>

The <value> can be 0 – 125° C.

External Moderator

@mbutler522010

--->>>Correct, This is a layer 2 FastIron Edge Switch FES4802, running version 03.7.00aTc1

accorly BNA release Notes, BNA 14.0.1 required at least FW 4.1.x or higher in order to manage FastIron FES Series Switches

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

thanks for digging into this. Since theproblem does not appear to be a failed fan, I opened it up and blew it out. So far it looks like I have not received an over-temp warning since. 

I understand I may not be able to "manage" the switch (which I think of as modify and update configurations) but I had hoped to at least monitor the switch, and BNA appears to receive info from it just fine ;-)

Mark

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.