Management Software

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

BNA Old databases

Following my very lengthy upgrade from 12.4.1 to 14.0.3 I'm now using a lot more disk than before. I have two questions around this - one of which I think has been asked before but I couldn't find any answers:

1. is there a way to clean the database? I've run clear-performance-data which cleared out around 10GB but I feel it's still bloated?
  2. Looking at the folders in Network Advisor 14.0.3\data\databases\base, one of the folders hasn't been touched since the upgrade and is the same size as the 12.4.1 DB folder was (Picture A). Comparing this to the OIDs I can see in pgAdmin (Picture B) is it safe to assume I can delete this folder - and if so, should I be running a script to remove cleanly it rather than just delete it through explorer.

Having said that, I'm planning on migrating the install to a new server anyway (2012) so, another question(s) would be:

1. Assuming that BNA only knows about the new DB, I guess this is the only one that it would migrate, thus I wouldn't need to bother with the above.
  2. could I, instead of migrating, export the config only and re-import this to a fresh install, therefore note copying across any redundant DB files? (note, I'm not too fussed about historical data/configs just the reports/cli configs etc - and the device list).

thanks for your help

Jack

Brocade Moderator

Re: BNA Old databases

Hi Jack,

the clean performance data script only deleted the contents of the tables from the files, it does not clean out the files them selves. The script does not remove files them self - and the vacum process only clean contents of files. Before you delete that folder / OID it would be good to know if any table(s) maps to those files.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

thanks Martin,

is there a way to easily check for the mapping?

I think I've said this before but I'm moving the install to a new server as well so I might wait to see if these old tables get copied across or not before I proceed.

thanks

Jack

Brocade Moderator

Hi Jack,

my BNA server down / unavailable for since time, but the proper way would be to export / import (or backup / restore) the database. Sorry, but until my DB is back, I cannot help with a command / gui to identify which files are activelty used in postgres or not.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

to answer my own question - and for anyone interested - I've now moved the install of BNA to a new server and here are my findings:

• First off I just ran a normal data migration as is I were doign an upgrade. this just seems to run a copy script that copied over all the databases in the database folder - including the one that I suspected wasn't in use - so I reverted my VM and tried option 2...
  • Option two was to do a clean install and use the backup/restore featue in the SMC. this only restored the databases that were in use and also only the rows that were in use (as the backup is a sql dump), thus leaving me with a much reduced in size database Smiley Very Happy

thanks

Jack

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.