Mainframe Solutions

EMC World 2015: Brocade, EMC and Mainframe

by Dr.Steve.Guendert on ‎05-01-2015 08:16 AM (3,463 Views)

Brocade and EMC have a great history of working together to provide world class FICON attached storage solutions to IBM z Systems end users all over the globe. While that history is important, the future looks even brighter! I will be delivering a presentation as part of the mainframe track at EMC World 2015 and wanted to take this opportunity to share some of the things I will be discussing in the presentation.

It is no secret that the mainframe is used for running critical applications and workloads, regardless of industry. For many industries, such as banking and financial services, the mainframe plays an even more important role. The world’s economy literally runs on modern mainframes such as the IBM z Systems z13. For these types of mission critical systems and workloads, it is imperative that the hardware used for the infrastructure is rock solid. You also need to have confidence in the company building those infrastructure components, such as the FICON directors. With 29+ years in the mainframe storage networking business going back to parallel channel extension, and with 6000+ FICON directors installed worldwide, Brocade is the company you can trust. That experience is a big reason why the 31 largest banks in the world today run their businesses on Brocade FICON SANs. Many of those Brocade FICON directors are EMC OEM’d Connectrix B series FICON directors.

A great history and all of that experience means nothing if you rest on the laurels of past accomplishments. The major emphasis of my presentation at EMC World will be a discussion of the new and innovative Brocade/Connectrix B Series FICON features that have been introduced over the past couple of years. Many of these features are unique to the Brocade FICON directors. After a very brief overview of the current product line, I will discuss these “Baker’s Dozen”. I will be discussing our Interchassis Links (ICLs), CUP Diagnostics, forward error correction (FEC), SAN Fabric I/O Priority, FICON Dynamic Routing (FIDR), Port Decommissioning, Clear Link diagnostics, and Fabric Vision to name a few. Also, I will discuss some of the things of importance with the new FICON Express 16S channels.

Following the presentation, Brocade and EMC will be hosting a reception. Myself, and several of my fellow Brocade mainframe team members, as well as EMC’s mainframe experts will be available to answer questions that you may have. I am looking forward to EMC World and the presentation. I hope to see many of you there.

EMC Mainframe Brocade Session and Reception

Date: Tuesday, May 5 from 4:30 - 6:30pm (Pacific)