Mainframe & FICON

Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Following a DCX-4S failover the ZO/S Platform ports in a FICON virtual fabric will not come online

We have had this virtual fabric set up for years.  For reasons as yet unknown the DCX-4S failed over unexpectedly.  Everything came back ok on the default 128 fabric, but on our FICON virtual fabric the Mainframes themselves simply won't connect.  Their ports show as In_Sync or No_Sync and  the ports rack up link_fail & loss_sync counts.

We did an upgrade earlier in the year, (to v7.4.0a), which obviously involved CP reboots and failovers and saw no problems.

It is like some key FICON setting has been dropped, but I can't work out what!

Brocade Moderator

Re: Following a DCX-4S failover the ZO/S Platform ports in a FICON virtual fabric will not come online

Hello,

Based on those information, it will be important to find the root cause of the unexpected failover and the unexpected consequence on several ports.

I have not seen similar issue. The recommendation will be to escalate this issue to the support team if you have necessary logs (supportsaves) that showing the issue.

Have you already open a case for that issue through your OEM if any?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

Re: Following a DCX-4S failover the ZO/S Platform ports in a FICON virtual fabric will not come online

Does failover occured during supportsave activities?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

Unfortunately we do not have the ideal support for these.  The supportsave did not reveal anything but did not cause any problems, (and to be honest the initial failure did not cause big issues). 

I have since failed this over 3 times but have been unable to recover the FICON paths in this virtual fabric.  All looks ok with FICON security but the Mainframe indicates that it doesn't like what it sees.

This is not critical as we are moving to a new solution on dedicated FICON switches soon.  I suspect that if I destroy the virtual switch and then recreate it from scratch that it would resolve this.  I am tied up with other stuff at the moment but I will try this just to satisfy my curiosity.

Brocade Moderator

Does concerned ports are still enable?

Can you run a simple portenable on them if not done?

Contributor

Disable does no good.  Regardless of whether these are disabled or not the state swaps between In_Sync and No_Sync, but we see lots of SYNC LOSS messages, hence we keep them disabled.

When trying to vary the PCHID online from the processor itcomes online for a second and then MVS rejects the connection.

Brocade Moderator

Have you already open a ticket to your OEM about this issue?

Contributor

Sadly we don't have OEM support for this. 

I will actually close this down now - I am pretty sure that this would be resolved by trashing the virtual switch and re-creating it, but we are due to be retiring this virtual fabric soon and moving to our dedicated mainframe switches.

This was set up for our tape access before we used FICON for disk.  Since then we have implemented FICON disk on switches dedicatyed to this mainframe environment.  We are now starting to replace our tape solution with one that willbe hosted on the dedicated mainframe switches, so this troublesome virtual fabric will die soon.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook