Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

x3650 with CX4

hi,

I am having a problem..

My senario is like this : I got x3650 M3 servers with VMWare ESX 4.1 installed.  I wanted to connect this server with my EMC CX4 120 (Clarrion) - NS120 (its unified storage) - through direct Fiber Cable.  I am using 2 FC HBA Cards in my server (415) and I have installed latest FC HBA Drivers (brocade_driver_esx4x_v2-3-0-2.tar) in VM Server.  But its not detecting in the Storage side (Navisphere).. some of the blogs pointed out that you need to use a SAN switch in between... is it correct..? Can anybody help me ?

Is there any new drivers available or any setting required to be done ?

thanks in advance

Contributor

Re: x3650 with CX4

Hi Pramod.nambiar,

As of today, you will need to have a SAN switch in between your host x3650 M3 servers via Brocade BR-415 and the EMC CX4 array. The direct connect will be supported by Brocade HBA in the next driver releases v3.1.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

thanks.  but may know when new version will be released ?

thanks again..

Contributor

Hello Pramod,

We have not yet announced a GA date. Please provide me your contact e-mail and I will let you know on a date as soon as it is publicly available. Please contact me directly for more details and I would be more than happy to assist you with the HBA's configuration.

Thanks.

Hoai Vu

hvu@brocade.com

New Contributor

thanks a lot.

am available on pramod.nambiar@pmcprojects.com

Super Contributor

I have read the relase notes of the HBA driver package 2.3.0.3 and found on page 10 following:

Important Notes
General:
1. Brocade HBAs support a direct-attach configuration to storage in Point-to-Point (P2P) mode only (not in Arbitrated Loop mode).

So I assume that it should work if both sides are configured in P2P mode.

This was supported also in version 2.3.0.2.

Please mark the thread if it works with the suggested settings and driver combination.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

New Contributor

Andreas,

Actually I also gone through the doc.. but for VM the driver version is 2.3.0.2 only, which we have tested and not suppoting DAS. (Page 9 last two lines).

yes 2.3.0.3 for Suse & Rhel is there..

thanks for the updates.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook