Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

step by step configuration brocade 300

Hi TechHelp24

Thank you for your suggestion as you know that i am new to this product..

i am new to brocade 300 FC  SAN Switch. i have 2 Brocade 300 switchs and we have 10 HBA Cards for SUN Blade 6270 Server.. one storate 6218

My both Brocade Switch web tool default IP is. http://10.77.77.77  after i login admin. what i have to do.. plase any one can suggest me  step by step configuration for single Brocade 300.  our brocade switch are new.

please kinldy help

Super Contributor

Re: step by step configuration brocade 300

Aslam,

here are TWO Principal Manuaels. The Command Reference Manuals, and the Fabric OS Administrator Guide.

First at all, go to http://learning.brocade.com and register. Here are a lot of Course and DOC which can be very helpfull for you.

Some are for Free, see as example for FC 101 Introduction to Fibre Channel Concepts, this is a Fundamental Course and Introduction to Fibre Channel Technology.

About you scenario.

At first, if you have more as One Switch in the Fabric, must make sure that each Switch have a Unique Domain ID.

By Default all Switch have DID 1, in this case you must change in the Second Switch the DID to 2.

Connect Trough Telnet as admin, execute the command switchdisable and the configure -> and press Enter till appear the field with the DID, change the value from Default 1 to 2, press enter, leave all other Value as Default, exit from this menue, and execute now switchenable to activated the switch.

To change the Switch IP Address, execute the command ipaddrset follow the description......, ipaddrshow list the current IP Address.

From the Second Thread>

--->>> i have 2 brocade 300 switch. how i can connect this 2 brocde 300 switch (cabeling) fail over configuration?

here are TWO Methode to Create a Failover, Both Switch as Standalone, or both Swicthes in the same Fabric.

If ou want to create a Unique Fabric with both Switches, you need to Connect Switch 1 to Switch 2 with a FC Cable.

This is called ISL = Inter Switch Link. In ISL Mode you need you to create a config in one switch and is immediately available in all other switch in the fabric.

when you prefered to work with both switch as Standalone, you must create the config n both switch. This  is in some case the better and sure Way, but requiered some ecperience in SAN Env.

as mentioned, see first in the learning portal before you begin with a productive Env. all this is a little hard if your dont have experience with such technology.

Occasional Contributor

i have 24 port brocade 300 switch i say

0 to 7  one group  for what (default gebic installed)

8 to 15 another group for what (empty)  we recive saparate

16 to 22 another grup  for what (empty) we recive saparate

can you please suggest me above this.

if i want to connect failover which port i need to choose.. do i need to create a zone for that.. please..

Super Contributor

---->>>>if i want to connect failover which port i need to choose..

any free port example Port 0 from Switch 1 to Port 0 to Switch 2

--->>> do i need to create a zone for that..

No.

0-7, 8-15, and 16-23 are Octet Port Groug.

check with the command licenseshow if all Ports are licensed. If yes your need just to insert the Separat Delivered SFP in the Emty Slot

Occasional Contributor

can i find the CBT Training (Video Training)

Super Contributor

In Brocade ILearning Portal can you find diverse Video.

Occasional Contributor

hi

my brocade current firmware version  is 6.1.1a  where i can download the latest firmware, if i upgrade the firmware for brocade 300  is their any thing effected with licenses..  please procedure step by step. Upgardation.

Super Contributor

Aslam,

Casually, Firmware are only available by Active Maintenance Contract from Brocade or OEM.

FOS v6.1.1 is pretty Old, if you have purchased both Switches at recent time, you reseller or OEM supplier must provide to obtain the latest Firmware.

But see here in the Forum and find enough LINK for Download.

--->>> please procedure step by step.

you need here for Upgrade from current 6.1.1 to 6.2.x then 6.3.x and finally to 6.4.x

here is a official Upgrade procedure from Brocade.

Recommended Migration Paths to FOS v6.4.1
Migrating from FOS v6.2.x
For units currently operating at FOS v6.2.x, it is recommended to use FOS v6.3.0d, 6.3.1b (or later) or v6.3.2 prior to migrating to FOS v6.4.1.

Recommended Migration Paths to FOS v6.3.2
Migrating from FOS v6.1.x
For units currently operating at FOS v6.1.x, Brocade recommends using FOS v6.2.2b as a migration path to v6.3.2 in order to reduce risk of exposure

to known issues at the v6.2.x code levels.

Firmware upgrade is simple but I'm me not sure if you are able to upgrade w/o a problem.....

are you able to create a remote connection ? I'll guide you with the Upgrade.

In order to start upgrade, you must have a FTP Server running in same IP range as the both Brocade and not Firewall behind.

Occasional Contributor

are you able to create a remote connection ?

Yes, my localhost installed FTP software.. and i alredy tested upload the default configuration from the WEB Tool of Brocade 300.

My Brocade 300 license is :

swd77:admin>licenseshow
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
    Fabric license
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
    Enhanced Group Management license
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
    8 Gig FC license
swd77:admin>

sorry for the version which is mention before 6.1.1a  Actually my version is below:

swd77:admin> version
Kernel:     2.6.14.2  
Fabric OS:  v6.3.1a
Made on:    Fri Feb 26 18:37:16 2010
Flash:        Mon Jul 19 08:11:35 2010
BootProm:   1.0.9
swd77:admin>

if i upgrade the Fabric OS version to latest version is their any effect my all license or not ?

Please guide me with upgradation procedue;

in addtion to that please kinldy review my attached SAN pic. and draw the fc lince and port no.  and give me the WEB or CLI configurtion step by step procedure. each server need to be have 2 HBA cards.? for brocade failover configuration.

Super Contributor

--->>> if i upgrade the Fabric OS version to latest version is their any effect my all license or not ?

No, FOS Upgrade dont have impact with the license.

From the licenseshow output, show as only default Port 0-7 are license, 8-23 are not license.

Or your have received a separate LIC Transaction Key ?

execute now the command licenseshow, create a screenshot and post here.

BTW. It is not necessary to edit the License Key, noboby can use this to anoher switch, because LIC are unique by Switch WWN Address.

--->>> Please guide me with upgradation procedue;

About the Upgrade Procedure, i would first upgrade as Recommended by Brocade ( Red Marked )

Recommended Migration Paths to FOS v6.4.1
Migrating from FOS v6.2.x
For units currently operating at FOS v6.2.x, it is recommended to use FOS v6.3.0d, 6.3.1b (or later) or v6.3.2 prior to migrating to FOS v6.4.1.

--->>>...and give me the WEB or CLI configurtion step by step procedure. each server need to be have 2 HBA cards.? for brocade failover configuration.

you must create Alias, Zone and Config. Here in the Forum can you find diverse Threads How to Create Zone and Config.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook