Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

single point of failure in a three switch fabric

Our SAN was originally designed as a two switch fabric in a two room environment on a manufacturing campus. We have added IBM blade centers with a Brocade 4020 switch and have added that switch to the fabric via one connection from the 4020 to one the local switch.

External Moderator

Re: single point of failure in a three switch fabric

Stuart, i am not sure if i understand wath you mean:If yes, you can connect the SW4020 trough ISL with a External Switch to create a Fabric, but this not will create any Failover, because the SW4020 connectivity with the Blade's Server / HBA is only available trough the Backplane. To Create a Failover beetwen the Blade Center you must insert 2x "TWO" SW4020. I hope this help, otherview explain here the Config.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I thought that I had notification turned ON, but I don't recall ever seeing a post notificaiton. My question is still outstanding. Stuart

Frequent Contributor

for having redundancy with the switches you are correct.the most common approach would be to have all switches redundant (2x4020, 2x3800) and set them up in a dual fabric design (4020_1 and 3800_1 in one fabric and 4020_2 and 3800_2 as seperate fabric)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.