Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

persistent disable port; duplicate Port WWN detection

Hello,

I can not get a port out of persistent disable mode due to the detection of a duplicate WWN port.

The error message I receieve is:  New port 7 has same Port WWN as old port 6 as part of duplicate Port WWN detection policy.

please  help; can i change the WWN on a port?

This occurs on two SAN 300 Switches v7.1.1a, same port 7

External Moderator

Re: persistent disable port; duplicate Port WWN detection

try with

1) portdisable - instead portcfgpersistentdisable

and then

2) portcfgdefault

let me know

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

THANKS, this was helpful in that it finally allowed me to change the port to a disable state.

However, the error message still comes up when attempting to enable the port:

"New port 7 has same Port WWN as old port 6 as part of duplicate Port WWN detection policy."  Then the switch puts Port 7 in Persistent disabled again.

Is there anyway to change the Port WWN on port 7 ?????

It shows as: 20:07:00:06:22:4c:08:b2  while port WWN on port 6 shows as: 20:06:00:06:22:4c:08:b2

External Moderator

try follow:

1) portdisable

2) portswapdisable

3) portstatsclear

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

thanks again, below are the results I get:

portdisable - no change

portcfgdefault - port changes from persistent disable to disable

portswapdisable - portswap is already disabled

portstatsclear - no change

portenable - port changes from disable to persistent disable (same error: Port WWN duplicate)

New Contributor

Is there any resolution for this issue? Thanks

szy
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Upgrading FOS did help in my case.

Will elaborate a bit more - it may help someone.

Problem originally arised when two, adjacent blades were swapped around for testing blade fault, leaving one port on each fabric for each blade in that state (port in bay 13 in that state on FABA and port in bay 14 on FABB).

All suggested solutions with portcfgdefault, disabling port and so on were not allowing me to clear that state.

It seems that somehow, switch did not properly update NS information, casing seeing the very same WWPNs in two different places.

As soon as I upgraded from 7.4.0a to 7.4.1d, problem disappeared (I've seen someone suggesting that somewhere else and we knew 7.4.0a had NS bug anyway so had nothing to loose by upgrading).

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

there has been some changes in FOS 7.1 and FOS 7.2 around the handling of duplicate WWN - see the below for the admin guide for FOS 7.4

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/fos-741-adminguide/GUID-53169C82-7080-446F-B4B0-7E282BFEE19C.html

Or to summarize

In FOS v7.1 the 2 options are:
• Existing login takes precedence over second login (default behavior).
• Second login overrides existing login (optional behavior).

In FOS v7.2 the 3 options are: 
• Setting 0: First login takes precedence over second login (default behavior).
• Setting 1: Second login overrides first login.
• Setting 2: The port type determines whether the first or second login takes precedence

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.