Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

interconnect old fabric (200E series) with new one (300series)

Hi all,

We have on data center with two separate fabrics on it:

1. We have old fabric with old storage and old servers - with two 200E switches (HP 4/8). It is now in production. It is without any zones- don't ask me why...the switches has been just swithed on and the nodes connected to them - it has worked for 3-4 years without problems. I still didn't check software versions of the switches but I will do so.

2. Now we are going to setup new fabric for new storage system and new servers  - with two 300 series switches (DS-300B).The switches versions are 6.3.2b We are going to make appropriate zonning for the new environment here.

THE TASK: To make able the servers from the both fabrics to have access to the both storages, we are asked to connect the both fabrics one by another with ISLs as following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first switch 200E         -----ISL-------     first switch 300

second switch 200E    -----ISL-------     second switch 300

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trunking is not required (and we have no licenses to do so) - so single interconnections only.

My questions (sorry if some of them are stupid, I am new in SAN networking):

1. Is so described interconnection is supported for these models? Could you point me to some links with officail inforamtion about that?

2.Have I keep in mind about software versions of the switches, and again, some help in finding this inforamation on brocade web site?

3.What would happen if I connect one fabric without any zones and second one with zones? Have I obligatory to setup zones on the old fabric of I could avoid that. Old fabric, again, is in production..

4.Finally - I need for detailed documentation how to setup this step-by-step on the both kinds of the switches?

Please see the hand-made diagram attached here.

Thank you in advance!

Valued Contributor

Re: interconnect old fabric (200E series) with new one (300series)

1. Is so described interconnection is supported for these models?  Could you point me to some links with officail inforamtion about that?

Yes it is supported, you'll find information on that in the release notes. As your old switches are HP branded please look at HP support site for documentation. HP also sells the B300 as (as a 8/24), any documentation on those is available at the same site.

2.Have  I keep in mind about software versions of the switches, and again, some  help in finding this inforamation on brocade web site?

Yes it is supported, please be (stongly) advised though that firmware is the same for switches in a fabric or the highest fw versioni they can run, it's not required though as long as it adheers to the release notes/ best practices.

3.What  would happen if I connect one fabric without any zones and second one  with zones? Have I obligatory to setup zones on the old fabric of I  could avoid that. Old fabric, again, is in production..

If zoning is enabled on your new switch, this  will be pushed to the old switches and deny access from thos host to  their targets should the merge succeed.

To avoid it :

-do zoning, >> create a zoneset on  your old environment first, next ISL the new switches (at this point  they should NOT have a zoneset configured or the merge will most  probably fail), then zone the new servers and storage.

-don't do zoning, next ISL the new switches, done. If you wish you can start zoning after the merge succeeded.

Please be advised that in the event a zoneconfiguration is active al non zoned host and targets are denied access.

4.Finally - I need for detailed documentation how to setup this step-by-step on the both kinds of the switches?

Documentation is (or should be) available through your OEM vendor or under they documentation button/tab on top of every community page

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook