Fibre Channel (SAN)

i connected a laptop via com 1 to the serial port.. started putty.. do not get login prompt

i am  trying to configure a brocade switch with an ip address

connected directly from laptop to serial port on switch

using putty

com1, 9600 

never get the logon prompt

what am i doing wrong

Broadcom Moderator

Re: i connected a laptop via com 1 to the serial port.. started putty.. do not get login prompt

Hello,

Could be possibly a different port COM on your PC or a cable issue.

If connecting the PC or terminal to the Console port, a straight-through EIA or TIA DB-9 serial cable with one end terminated in a female DB-9 connector and the other end terminated in a male or female DB-9 or DB-25 connector, depending on the specifications of your PC or terminal.

The session parameters should be:

•Baud: 9600 bps
•Data bits: 8
•Parity: None
•Stop bits: 1
•Flow control: None

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Valued Contributor

Re: i connected a laptop via com 1 to the serial port.. started putty.. do not get login prompt

Two options here:

1) putty by default uses XON/XOFF as a flow control, you need to change it to None.

2) could be a wrong cable too?
External Moderator

@jsrwagner01

is a Brand New switch ?

if yes, you can connect to Eth Port and telnet to Factory default IP

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook