Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

how to change the role from subordinate to principal

Hello, I´m new into this community.

I got a SAN conformed with 2 Fabric wich have 2 Brocade 300 (firmware v6.4.3) each one.

I recently add two new storages to the SAN and connect one of this to the principal switches and configured the new zones without problem.

Now I need to connect the second storage to the SAN, but it´s connected to the subordinates switchs so, I got two questions:

1) I can configure the new zones in the same way than when I connect the first storage or I need to interchange the roles of the switchs?

2) If I need to change the roles, which is the right way to do that change? Some people say that I need to shutdown the principal switchs so the subordinate assume the principal role, but I think that is wrong. I think there must be a way to do the change using the some command via console (may be fabricprincial?).

I googled a lot trying to find the answer, but I don´t find an answer that satisfy me.

Thanks for your time and I´m apologyze for my poor english.

Regards.

Nicolas.

External Moderator

Re: how to change the role from subordinate to principal

Nicolas,

--->>>Some people say that I need to shutdown the principal switchs so the subordinate assume the principal role,

you are right, this statement is incorrect.

and you are right again, "fabricprincipal" is the correct command to set and/or force the switch from subordinate to principal,

however, in order to configure new zone, alias, is not necessary and not required to set the switch from sub-to-principal.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Ok, I will try to configure everything (alias and zones) and post here my results.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi Nicolas,

the two main functions of a principal switch are to manage build fabrics, such as ensuring unique domain IDs throughout the fabric, and synchronize time throughout the fabric.

As TechHelp24 statet, you can configure zoning from each switch.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
New Contributor

The last friday I updated the configuration of the SAN, from the sub switchs and everything goes fine.

Thanks for your help, both comments help me to made the changes.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook