Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

hints and help to configure brocade 300 switches

Hi All,

I'm quiet new to the brocade and I would like to have some hints and suggestion on how to configure my environment to work and perform at 100%

I've got:

4 ESXi servers

2 brocade 300 san switches

1 EVA 4000 SAN

Each esx has 2 hba

To configure the HA without loss in performance is it better to build a fabric or use every switch as stand-alone?

In case of fabric I have to connect the 2 switches using an ISL (one or more than one?) and every switch must have a unique domain ID. Do I need to know something else?

Zoning:

As long as all 4 hosts will access to the same LUNs, do I need to configure the zoning or it's not really necessary?

If I have to configure it, how do I have to design it? (for instance: each hba1 of each host is one zone or something else?)

Please be aware that I'm searching for HA and performance.

Thanks,

Dario

Regular Contributor

Re: hints and help to configure brocade 300 switches

Hi,

if you do not ISL the Brocade 300 switches it means you get some fault isolation.

There are more settings that needs to be identical in the switches, see 'configshow|grep -i fabric.ops' for some of them.

Does your ESXi servers support NPIV and virtual WWpN? If so you could zone the actual virtual machines with the EVA.

If all servers connect to the same LUN - for performance reasons you want them all to connect to that LUN via the same EVA controller (the owning controller).

I'd say it's a good idea to start using zoning already from the beginning. If your environment grows and you get another disk array you generally don't want to let the disk arrays see eachother.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for you help. Both VMWare and HP recommend single initiator/single target zoning.

Having 4 servers with 2 HBA and 4 ports each + EVA dual controller with 2 ports per controller mean that I have to create 32 zones?

Do I have to setup the ISL in some way or I just have to connect the cable?

I could use also 4 switches (my customers acquired another company) but i don't really know if it helps or how to configure them (2 fabrics for HA?)...

Thanks,

Dario

Regular Contributor

"Having 4 servers with 2 HBA and 4 ports each + EVA dual controller with 2 ports per controller mean that I have to create 32 zones?"

That's correct. Some zone one node to one target (so all the ports on an HBA to one target port).

"Do I have to setup the ISL in some way or I just have to connect the cable?"

There are many many posts on this forum about ISL two switches.
If switches have fabric license, no zone config, unique DID then it should be enough to connect them with a cable yes. If it doesn't work start by looking in the output of the CLI command 'switchshow'.

"I could use also 4 switches (my customers acquired another company) but i don't really know if it helps or how to configure them (2 fabrics for HA?)..."

If you use four switches you could connect one port from the EVA to each switch - meaning if one switch goes down (also for maintenance, not only problem) you only lose one host port instead of two. That improves HA and perhaps performance too.

If you have 8Gb FC HBA remember that the ports on the EVA4000 are 4Gb.

Occasional Contributor

That's correct. Some zone one node to one target (so all the ports on an HBA to one target port).

So the zones are 32... Headache is coming

This is the output of switch show:

switchName:     sanswitch-a

switchType:     71.2

switchState:    Online

switchMode:     Native

switchRole:     Principal

switchDomain:   1

zoning:         OFF

switchBeacon:   OFF

"If you use four switches you could connect one port from the EVA to each switch - meaning if one switch goes down (also for maintenance, not only problem) you only lose one host port instead of two. That improves HA and perhaps performance too."

As long as I have 8 ports licensed on all switches i guess that this would be the top.

As I will have to connect each port of the eva on one switch, how do I have to connect the servers and the switches between them?

Switch A port 1 to Switch D port 1

Switch B port 1 to switch C port 1

Switch A port 2 to Switch B port 2

Switch D port 2 to Switch C port 2

Correct?

Then every port of each server to one switch?

Server 1

HBA1 port 1 to switch a port 3

HBA1 port 2 to switch b port 3

HBA2 port 1 to switch c port 3

HBA2 port 2 to switch c port 3

etc...

Right?

EVA SP1 to switch A port 8

Zones:

would be something like:

port 3+8 (server 1 hba1 port 1 + eva)

port 4+8 (server 2 hba1 port 1 + eva)

port 5+8 (server 3 hba1 port 1 + eva)

port 6+8 (server 4 hba1 port 1 + eva)

This is for switch A

Same for all the others.

Regular Contributor

So the zones are 32... Headache is coming

But only 16 per fabric

Switch A port 1 to Switch D port 1

Switch B port 1 to switch C port 1

Switch A port 2 to Switch B port 2

Switch D port 2 to Switch C port 2

This puts all switches in the same fabric. Probably not what you want.

If you want to have two fabrics you should only connect like: SWA-SWC and SWB-SWD

One benefit with trunking ISL is that one cable in the trunk can go down and the fabric won't have to be updated to the changes.

Then every port of each server to one switch?

This maximizes HA - it sounds expensive and you don't gain much/any performance from that vs. two ports from each server.

For EVA - HP has a guide called 'HP SAN Design Reference Guide' - this has topology drawings of how to cable an EVA.

EVA cabling - if you have two fabrics - one fabric with SWA+SWC and one with SWB+SWD.

Ctrl A SP1 - SWA

Ctrl A SP2 - SWB

Ctrl B SP1 - SWC

Ctrl B SP2 - SWD

Zones look good I guess, if you really want to use DID, PID zoning. Switches in the same fabric share zoning database.

Have you considered WWN zoning? If one switch in a fabric goes down, you could move cables from devices to the other switch in the fabric without having to do any zoning changes.

Occasional Contributor

What is not clear to me it's how all the servers can access a lun in two fabric mode.

I checked the document you mentioned but i didn't found how to connect the server's HBA and which one to which switch...

Occasional Contributor

Maybe I got it... Correct me if i'm wrong.

On switch A I'll have:

EVA SP1 A

ESX 1 HBA1

ESX 2 HBA1

Switch B:

EVA SP1 B

ESX 1 HBA2

ESX 2 HBA2

Switch C:

EVA SP2 A

ESX 3 HBA1

ESX 4 HBA1

Switch D:

EVA SP2 B

ESX 3 HBA2

ESX4 HBA2

As mentioned before, the fabric would be Switch A+C and B+D

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook