Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

firmwaredownload command can't find server storing firmware

I am trying to do a firmware upgrade on 2 ibm branded m-48 switches.

I used to be able to use the firmwaredownload command with either the gui or command line

and the switches could find the server that I had the firmware loaded on easily.

Now it does not find the server using either the command line or the gui.

The only pertinent change I can think of is that the domain of the server where the firmware is located has changed.

For example it used to be something like this - nimserver.application. bus.com, now it is something like this nimserver.application0. bus.com. This is now a different domain from the switches, they are still in the old domain.

To complicate things the old server name is aliased to the new name.

When the firmwaredownload command is run, it comes back with an error that includes every thing that can possibly go wrong. It reads like this - Can't find server, directory for firmware or user name and password are wrong.

I know the id and password are ok because I can get to the same server even after it's domain name change using

supportsave command.

I wanted to know if I could do the firmwareupgrade using a serial cable connection. If not do you know of any issues with

server and switch being in different domains when attempting a firmware upgrade. The current version is 6.4.1a going to 6.4.2b.

Occasional Contributor

Re: firmwaredownload command can't find server storing firmware

I have used this process successfully for several years.  Give it a try........  Good luck

********************************************************************************************************************

Download the current firmware.  Unzip it and make a directory in the root of your laptop.  Put all the unzipped files in this directory. (You make a directory here to avoid typing/path mistakes that abort the operation and make you start from the beginning)

Start an FTP Server on your laptop.  I use NetFTP (a part of Netterm)

Issue the firmware download command:

-provide the IP address of the FTP server  (My IP 10.71.170.186)

-provide a valid user name (My laptop user ID)

-provide the file location  --  (This is critical.  Don’t include the drive letter, and the file is release.plist. 

Release.plist does not exist but the firmware download figures out which

Firmware to download and does it!)

/v6/release.plist         <---  just like this, no drive letter! (Note: release.plist is not a file in the /v6 directory, but the firmwaredownload command figures it out!  Note 2: V6.4 and above does not need the release.plist)

-provide the network protocol. I specified FTP, because that was what I was running.

-provide password (My laptop password)

-answer yes to continue.

-sit back and enjoy the ride

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook