Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

can a long range sfp be paired with an intermediate range sfp?

I have a 4gig lw long range sfp, can I connect it with an intermediate range sfp?

External Moderator

Re: can a long range sfp be paired with an intermediate range sfp?

No. you must use at both Side same SFP, LW or SW.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

which in fact means "yes" because both long range and intermediate range SFPs are LW ;)
Valued Contributor

so you can use them together, but only at the distance that doesn't overcome the limits of the intermediate range, of course
Valued Contributor

just forgot one thing - make sure that your long range SFPs are not "coloured" i.e. CWDM-like. in this case you will be able to pair it only with the SFP of the same "colour" (wavelength)
Frequent Contributor

Technically when the wavelenght is them same you could. In real life it will hardly ever work because if differences in optical budget specifications. Basically that would mean that either the direction from the "intermediate" sfp to the "long range" would be underpowered or, on the reverse side, the optical power would be too high. In both cases you would end up with a high BER causing link failures.

My advise: Use the SFP's falling in the specifications for the required distance and do not muck around with this or try to work around physics.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook