Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

calculate average throughput / bandwidth usage on an ISL trunk

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to capture the average bandwidth usage / throughput on an ISL trunk over a couple of days.
The reason is that we will implement compression soon and I would like to compare the throughput before and after enabling compression to be able to know the actual gain.

I know about the "trunkshow -perf" command.
The only problem is that this only gives the throughput at the time you issue the command.
I would like to calclulate the average throughput over a couple of days.

Is there an easy way to do this?
I could start writing a script that runs "trunkshow -perf" every 5 minutes, captures the results and calculates the average, but if there is an easier solution or community script that does this, then I don't want to re-invent the wheel Smiley Happy

any recommendations?

Valued Contributor

Re: calculate average throughput / bandwidth usage on an ISL trunk

Hi there,

You can use portperfshow (take a look at its help for a detailed review of the different possibilities this command offers) and, on the other hand, you can run a Sanhealth collecting the perf data.

Rgds

Frequent Contributor

bna could do it for you!

or you use nagios to poll the switches and draw a graph, beware of the 32 bit counters

or you could use virtualwisdom, but that one ist not for free

we, at the company i work for do it with nagios.

Valued Contributor

you can also collect tx and rx counters.
Frequent Contributor

Be very cautious about what I encountered. Compression itself might have a suprising sideeffect when oter adjustment(s) are not made.

I wrote an article around it over here:

http://erwinvanlonden.net/2014/05/performance-expectations-with-isl-compression/

Cheers

Erwin

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the replies.

I've doubled the distance on the LS port configuration as recommended in the admin guide (double the buffers), before I enabled compression.

I've been using portperfshow and INA (IBM version of BNA) (performance->historical graph) to keep an eye on things. I'll make an evaluation after a couple of days to estimate what we gain by the compression.

BNA is a great tool, we have installed this utility not long ago.

Unfortunately I can only get the historical performance graph to work.

If I try to generate a historical performance report (performance->historical report), it does nothing when I click the button. Probably just a problem in our INA environment. Kind of annoying as I'd like to get actual numbers instead of only a graph. Did anybody else have this problem with BNA?

Our runs on linux: 2 things that I noticed that are not working are the element manager and the performance historical report.

But I guess I'm going off-topic here.

cheers

Frequent Contributor

Hello smashingpumpkin !

Here we use BNA too. As we also have IBM TPC, we use the Fabric module to get historical data.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.