Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

brocade 300 Zoning

Hi All,  I want the community to help me on this issue.

I want to do zoning in an environment that has  two (2) brocade 300 SAN Switches, a StorageTek SL-150 Tape Library, two (2) ZFS storage machines ( i.e. Storage 1 and storage 2), and thirteen physical servers. The break down is as written below for clearer understanding

- The storagetek SL-150 tape Library has two (2) HBA, with each leg going to each port on the brocade 300 SAN switch

- Each of the two ZFS storage machine has four (4) HBA, with two HBA connected to each of the brocade 300 switch

- Each of the servers  in the environment has two (2) HBA with each HBA connected to each of the SAN switches

Please how will the zoning look like, i will appreciate a detailed layout and solution to this. Am in a production environment and there is not room for **filtered**.

Brocade Moderator

Re: brocade 300 Zoning

Hello,

just zone every server with the storage ports they should communicate with. Do the same for your Tape Device.

Following an example how this could look like for Server 1 of 13:

Zones:

Server 1 - Storage 1

Server 1 - Storage 2

SL-150 - Storage 1 (as long as you want to to backups to tape from storage)

SL-150 - Storage 2 (as long as you want to to backups to tape from storage)

Do the same for all 13 servers and for fabric 2 (the second Brocade 300). For details how to create the config, the zones and aliases, please have a look at the appropriate Admin Guide or Command Reference Guide.

AG

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Dear Alenxandra,

Thanks for your prompt response concrning my post. Please I still have some clarifications to make concerning the task that i have at hand which is the Zoning of my brocade 300 switch.

1)  Do I need to do the zoning on each of the switches Yes \ NO

2).    If the answer is No as applicable on F5 devices, please how do I SYNC the configuration on the primary switch to the other switch?.  Either from the CLI or the Web interface.

BR.

Taiwo

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

from how I understood, you have two 300s which are building two independent fabrics, which means: both switches are not connected with each other over ISLs, right? In this case you have to do the zoning on each of the switches, be aware to use the correct WWNs from your connected devices.

If both switches are building a fabric (in this case they are directly connected with one or more ISLs) then you just do the zoning on one of the switches, the zoning will be automatically distributed between them.

AG

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your prompt response and support , I will try this and revert.

Occasional Contributor

Dear Alenxandra,

My brocae 300 switches has been confirmed to be inter-connected with each other but i observed that since yesreday that i did the zonning on one of the switches, it yet to sync it configuration in to the other brocade 300 switch.

Alex, please advise, what do you think i can do to have it sync, what is the way out? for example i know that in F5 web interface there is a provision for this, but do we have same in brocade 300?

Waiting for your prompt response.

Thanks

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

please list all commands (without details as WWNs) which you have used to create your config. Maybe you have just forgotten to add the zones to your config or to activate the config. And which FOS levels are the switches running on?

AG

Brocade Moderator

Helo Taiwo,

as I have seen in your second thread, the switches are not building a fabric. As I have written this is the reason why your config is not getting distributed.

So you have two choices:

1. Building a fabric via an ISL

2. Create a second zoning on your independent second switch

AG

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.