Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

admin password reset silkworm 2800 (firmware v2.6.0c)

We just purchased an old silkworm 2800 SAN Switch.

Contributor

Re: admin password reset silkworm 2800 (firmware v2.6.0c)

The only way to reset admin password without knowing it is to use the root password. Please refer to your support provider.

Frequent Contributor

There is one other way to reset your passowrd, but it probably requires begging and pleading to your support provider, or more likely a brcd SE. The 2800 does have a serial port, unfortunately it is on the motherboard inside the chassis, but a simple cable can be connected to it and the switch can be net booted with password recovery firmware. But like I said it is not something that is normally done. Good Luck!

New Contributor

I am trying to recover from lost passwords on a 2800 (v 2.6.0f). Both default admin and root don't work. I do have a serial cable and can talk to the unit. What is the procedure to recover lost passwords via serial port communication? Sounds like some software is required over the enet connection, can anyone provide this and instructions on its use?Thanks in advance for any help!

Frequent Contributor

You need to open a support ticket as there is special firmware that needs to be generated based on the WWN of the switch. Whoever gave you the serial pigtail should be able to help you get the firmware too.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, however, this is a basement project and really can't afford the service $$. However, I have managed to hook two switches together (I know the passwords on one) and have the password recovery utility. Indeed, it does change the 'admin' password on the machine with the unkowns (but doesn't seem to change any of the other passwords). ALSO, the machine seems to revert back to its original state when rebooted! Two questions - 1. How do I change the other passwords on the machine in addition to 'admin'? 2. How do I make the changes permenant such that the password change persists across a boot?Thanks in advance for any help!

Frequent Contributor

Ah, now I see what you are doing, you are using the API utility that can change the admin password via the other switch. I thought that you actually obtained a serial pigtail and were using the serial console. If I remember correctly the API utility does not write the password change to flash, hence your issue with reboots. My suggestion would be to change the password via the utility and then log in as admin and change the password via telnet that way it should write to flash.Also I don't believe that the API password utility can change any other passwords, just admin.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,Cheers

Occasional Contributor

Ok I found the password reset util, made up a serial cable and followed the instructions for resetting the passwords. All looks to have gone correctly, but I still can't log it. What's going on? Anyone got any ideas.Please help.

Occasional Contributor

Quiet in here!Anyone got any ideas?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook