Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

access gateway mode best practices

Hi,

I have few questions on access gateway and need some suggestions. 

1. AG Trunking vs AG static mapping, which one is better w.r.t. HA and performance ?

2. In AG Trunking mode, is the AG mapping is still required? For example, I have 16 F ports and 4 N ports, i have done the mapping all 16 F ports equally among 4 N ports, but in case of trunking all the 16 N ports IO is going via only one N port which is a trunk master. In that case is there any preference for mapping ?

3. W.r.t the performance, Switching vs AG, which one is better. 

Thanks & Regards,

Shashi Kanth. 

Contributor

Re: access gateway mode best practices

Trunking is better as it is more effecient and there is less impact if an N port goes down.

You still want to use failover groups so the F ports can switch over to a new master if needed without disruption.

Configuration is done on switch and not AG switch. To implement F_Port masterless Trunking on the Edge switch, you must first configure an F_Port Trunk group and statically assign an Area_ID within the trunk group. Assigning a Trunk Area (TA) to a port or trunk group enables F_Port masterless Trunking on that port or trunk group.

Read more about porttrunkarea command. Also you need to have trunk licenses on both switches.

Switching vs AG.. just depends on your requirements. I wouldn't use AG unless you are trying to limit your number of DIDs or you have some other reason as AG takes away some of the switches capabilities.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook