Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

a question about the margianl port in the log

Hi,

External Moderator

Re: a question about the margianl port in the log

ibm2109,what exactely of switch Model ? what is the error Number ? see trough telnet whitthe command "errShow" and inform.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

we have ibm 2109(3900 silkworm) and 48000. they all reported such messge:Any idea?

External Moderator

ibm2109, Replace any faulty or deteriorating SFPs.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

hi techhelp24, Can you explain what happened to the switch?

Frequent Contributor

most likly one of your ports is "weak", meaning it partially works, partially doesn't. Although the port has a working link, i expect it to loss connection quite often, so the link goes up and down. defect sfp or defect cable is the most likly cause as techhelp said.Do you have a snmp or syslog facility? That would be the easiest way to trace portlogevents.

Occasional Contributor

I get these messages somewhat frequently. I usually call the admin of the server that is attached to that port only to find that they are currently working on that server. I've had 1 bad sfp in 5 years.Cables are another story.

Occasional Contributor

Do you mean that those messages are the results of the host causing the port status changed such as host reboot? If that is the case this sould be configured in the fabric watch, right?

Occasional Contributor

I think it is less likely that the port is faulty since a couple of switches reported such messages not only one. the messages in all switches are directed to syslogd unixe server.

External Moderator

ibm2109,but it is possible ths more SFP are bad in there Switch, so please if is possible test this to make sure that. I have the experience that Bad SFP or Cable caused several Problem, that is my experience.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.