Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Zoning Question

Hi,

I currently have a Compellent storage array configured and implemented in production with some of my test data on it.  I previously had a EMC CX3-40 and an EVA5000 which were mirrored by two separate head units running DataCore software and connected via Brocade 200 and 300 FC Switches.  I have recently decommissioned my EVA and DataCore, but still would like to use my EMC as a test environment.

Here is my issue, when I zone in my EMC without using DataCore I seem to be getting error messages from Compellent saying it cannot find the LUN from the EMC, when there are no LUN’s associated to the host which is TSTVM01.

Here is my question…should I create two separate zones with my test server with one zone seeing the EMC and the other zone seeing the Compellent?  My thought is I should create two separate zones each with a view to the test server and just use VMware to move the data between the LUN’s from each array….thoughts?

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: Zoning Question

should I create two separate zones with my test server with one zone seeing the EMC and the other zone seeing the Compellent?

Answer: Yes, this is best zoning style and recommended from Brocade. It is called single Initiator single Target zoning.

Yes you can use VMWare to move your data. This will work. TAke care of the correct LUN masking.

Andreas

Contributor

Thank you for such a quick reply.

Can you expand on the correct LUN Masking?  Do you mean at the server level, host level or at the storage level?

Super Contributor

LUN masking is done on the storage array. You have to allow the PWWN of the server to get access to the LUN.

This allows to share one storage port with different servers.

By the way a server act as initiator and a storage port as target.

If you have a virtualisation engine then this will have both port types.

I hope this helps. If you are happy with the answer please mark the thread as helpfull or correct.

Otherwise let me know I try to find additional information.

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook